Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to change XP desktop color or theme

• Please log in to reply

Zorbemca

Zorbemca

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have worked in the Malware forum for a while to remove all the malware from my system and now thanks to the great people in that forum my system is now squeeky clean.

But I have one issue that we have not been able to solve. It was suggested that I post here and see if any of the XP experts can help. The malware folks say my HJT logs are clean and my pc shows no other evidence of malware infections, all my AV and Spyware scans come up clean.

My problem is that I cannot change the desktop background color or the desktop theme.

I can change the title bar colors, and such, but my desktop is stuck on blue.

Unlike some other of the desktop hijacks I have read about, the choices listed in the properties window are not "grayed out" as some have reported.

On the Theme tab, the active theme listed is "Windows XP (modified)"

When I pick a different theme, the correct background is shown correctly in the preview window, but when I press apply, the entire dialog box closes and the desktop does not change.

On the Desktop tab, all the choices are shown, but if I click on any of them, the entire dialog box closes and nothing happens, the desktop remains blue.

On the appearence tab I can change the color of the window title bars, but still cannot change the desktop background.

I have checked all the polices using GPedit and the known registry areas for desktop locks or setting, none are currently configured.

What do you suggest??

Edited by starjax, 20 October 2007 - 05:39 PM.
removed hijackthis log

Advertisements

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Do you have services (theme) listed as automatic?

http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

You have all the latest drivers for your sound, graphics etc?

Zorbemca

Zorbemca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Latigid,

Thanks for your help. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but I live in San Diego and I had to evacuate for 3 days because of the fires.

Yes the Themes service is running and is set for "Automatic"

Yes, I have all the latest drivers for everything.

This all started after I got some malware on my system.

What should I check now??

Zorbemca

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have you tried this

Open the Control Panel.
Open Display Properties.
Click the Desktop tab.
Click the Customize Desktop button.
Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window.
Make sure all checkboxes in this window are un-checked including My Current Homepage.
Restart your computer.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you have your original XP cd, you may want to do an SFC (System File Check) as well.

Start > Run > cmd
type
sfc /scannow (note the spacing!)
You will be prompted to insert your XP CD.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

HTH
Johanna

Zorbemca

Zorbemca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Essex,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have checked this before, but I checked again and found there are no web pages listed at all. Not even the My Home page is listed.

Any other thoughts??

I don't have my XP cd with me today but will try the SFC tomorrow.

thanks

Zorbemca

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
You may find this thread helpful. Similar post-malware cleaning problem with successful resolution by GrayKnight: http://www.geekstogo...ml#entry1076091

Zorbemca

Zorbemca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Johanna,

I did the SFC and still no luck. Still can't change the desktop color.

What next?? Should I consider a "Repair install" of XP?? What are the dangers of that??

Thanks

Zorb