Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I major in Management Information Systems or Accounting?

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I want to get my masters in either one, but I'm not sure which one to pick.

Accounting

pros

seems like I'll have a solid job with a solid increase in salary pay ( right? )
my best friend wants me to do it
the university I'm transferring to is top 10 in the nation in accounting, and has a graduate masters program for this major.

cons

my dad REALLY doesn't want me to do it
I'm not sure I'll like it, I think it might be boring.

Management Information Systems

pros
i might make a great amount of money. ( right? )
i might enjoy working with computers.
the university i'm transferring to has a graduate masters program for this major.
my dad REALLY wants me to do it.

cons
i might hate it
my job might get outsourced, i hear these jobs are in danger ( right?)
i might not find a job, or i might not make a lot money

Anyone have any advice on the demand for these jobs and overall satisfaction?

These are the two i'm considering right now, economics and marketing are out of the picture. The last option is finance, but I doubt that I'm going to do that, if you think finance is good, please tell me why.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I want to get my masters in either one, but I'm not sure which one to pick.

Accounting

pros

my best friend wants me to do it

cons

my dad REALLY doesn't want me to do it

Management Information Systems

pros
my dad REALLY wants me to do it.

cons

I've edited the quote, and the points I have left are the ones you need to throw out the window! I really believe you need to choose something you are going to enjoy, forget about what other people want and don't want you to do.

Example: My dad really wants me to do stuff, and I don't want to do it. End result = I haven't done it, dad is unhappy, I'm happy (and relationship is a little strained at times). Unfortunately, you can't make anybody else do something, and I've told my dad this, and he's just going to have to deal with it. I'm not disrespectful about it - I still respect him, and know that he just wants the best for me.

When I finally decide what I want to do when I grow up (I'm just a big kid, and nobody's going to pay me to play computer games at home all day :)), then I'll do what I decide.

My $0.02, just hope it's helpful :)

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
It's your life, your decision, you have to live with it. You make it.
Money isn't everything. (it's just nice) Don't go into a lifetime career with that in mind.
If you like your work, that is more rewarding than the paycheck. :)

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yes Psyche, I have that exact same attitude, the most important thing is whether or not I enjoy the job. But at the same time, a secondary importance should be given to money, I mean I'm not rich, and I'm not determined to be rich, of course I want to be, but I'd be fine living a happy simple life. However, it's not fair to the family that I'll one day have, I mean this will affect them too, not just me. So while the major should be enjoyable, I should consider the demand for it as well.

And FPV, I understand where you're coming from, I've definitely thought about that. But everyones family is different, and I simply don't want to let him down, I don't want him saying 10 years down the road "I told you so," if I'm not financially secure with accounting, I want to make him proud.

EDIT: thanks for the responses so far guys!

Edited by Sk0rch, 21 October 2007 - 12:45 AM.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Also, add Business Administration to that list, I'm considering that as well, although still researching.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your only going to do well doing what you want to do, not what someone else wants you to do.
Like I said before, you excel at what you love, and fail at what you dislike. There are many things in life we will be forced to do, don't let this be one of them.
I myself am trying to decide between business administration and majoring in economics, I'm in my first year of university already.
Basically, if your undecided I recommend trying a number of courses and taking what you like best, while some say its a waste of a year, I have heard many more stories of people getting a degree and realizing thats not what they want to do with their life.
Lastly, the job that will pay the best will be the one you enjoy the most. If you enjoy your job you will put more effort forth, raising the likelihood of getting raises and a higher position.
Remember though, money isn't everything. There is lots that it cannot buy.
Chances are you won't be able to decide what you want to become till you have already started your education, this is O.K. What adults don't tell you is that they always ask you about what you want to become in the future, to start conversation. So don't feel like your being put under pressure because of this question that may be asked to you repeatedly, we could give you any answer for a job to take, but ultimatly, only you know whats best for you, not us, not your dad or you friend. You and only you!
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 October 2007 - 07:19 PM.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
SkOrch, my suggestion is that you sit down with your Dad and ask him for all the reasons he really wants you to do it. You may disagree with his reasons but by discussing them with him you may become clearer about your decision. And you may also find that he knows you really well and that his reasons make a bit of sense.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
thanks for the advice guys, i appreciate it, i am picking classes for next semester on monday, and i am basically taking all 6 as business classes, to finish up my business core, hopefully, this will give me a better understanding of what i like, in the meantime, i will keep posting on this thread when i do more research and if i have more concerns and to respond to what people said.

thanks again.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I'm not going to give you the lecture that the others did. You know what's right, as far as deciding what will make YOU happy.

As someone with a degree in Accounting, let me shed a bit of light on it. MANY people have the misconception that all you'll do is taxes and such all day every day. That's absolutely not true. A Masters' degree in Accounting can open a LOT of doors to many career fields. Running the accounting department in hospitals, school systems, public housing authorities, even large corporations. There is of course the option of having your own bookkeeping firm. You can branch off into investments, etc. Do some more research, or talk to a counselor at your school. There are a LOT of different things you can do besides taxes all day. :)

Oh, and since you asked in your first post... yes! You can make a serious amount of money with a degree in Accounting. It depends what area you choose to live in, and what you choose to do for work.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Good luck with the business courses, I'm taking it as well right now. It can be fun, my only suggestion is don't take a full course load, it is overwhelming and your grades will likely drop as a result. Don't let this discourage you!
James

Edited by james_8970, 01 November 2007 - 08:47 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
That's not necessarily true. :) It depends on the person. You have to consider your ability to learn, and absorb information. Consider your body, and how well you can or cannot function when going to school all day, and studying all evening. Do you have the drive and desire to finish faster? Or are you someone who takes longer to learn things? There are a lot of factors to think about when deciding how many classes to take. Me? I took about 18 hours a semester, starting when I was 29, and worked full time as a single mom. I did NOT have the stamina for it. It honestly nearly killed me physically. However, I had the sheer force of will that carried me through it. It depends on your life situation, how you choose to handle your education.

Be careful making those choices. You want to do what is right for YOU, and YOUR future. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Agreed, it not entirely true and it is dependant on the person, this is only a suggestion from my first hand experiences to date. The first year of university is overwhelming to many and I have experienced too many of my friends dropping out due to poor decisions and feeling like they are not ready for university, meanwhile there are just expecting to much from themselves. Entering university you are going through a huge transition, you are no longer in classes with 30 people, your now sitting in classes between 100 and 300 people and it's more dependent that you take time out of your schedule to do homework, and plenty of it.

On a second note, 15 credit hours a semester was overwhelming for me so I dropped a class to take a 12 hour course load and I'm working part time, how did you manage 18 credit hours a semester/term, working full time and being a mom?! You truly are a super woman to be able to manage all that.

James

Edited by james_8970, 02 November 2007 - 09:44 AM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:) No, I'm not superwoman. I didn't have a choice. I had to take care of my girls. :)

And don't forget many kids have trouble b/c they have TOO much fun with their independence the first year. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Anyone who did what you did is a super man/woman (depending on gender of course) in my books.

Yes, unless you can buckle down you will have trouble, due to your independence that your not used to, such as being present in class not being a requirement (in some classes, not all), as it was in highschool. Though this isn't always the case, for example when I was taking a full course load I was not receiving satisfactory marks as I couldn't keep up with the work, though I wasn't used to the added stress that many may be used to.
James

Edited by james_8970, 03 November 2007 - 12:57 AM.