Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No one can help me..

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Earlier (months and months ago) I asked for help on a topic and I got one reply, replied to that, and received no answer after that. I'm having two windows explorer, both aren't serious (I don't think) but they're annoying as [bleep].

Issue 1:
Windows Explorer seems to have problems with refreshing for no reason. If I have W.E pulled up and I am looking through a folder, I'll just be scrolling down through it and it will refresh itself back to the top for no reason. The more annoying part of this is the fact that it does it when I'm using Windows Media Player too. You know how you go to File<Open<[Music Folder] and you can search through the songs? Well I keep that page up and I will just drag what song I want to listen to down to the OPEN section near the bottom that way I can listen to a song without having to exit that screen. Anyway, throughout the day when I have that up it refreshes itself for no reason, causing the area where the music is listed to go blank for sometimes 10 seconds or sometimes a minute and it will come back. My taskbar also becomes unclickable and when I scroll my mouse over the taskbar the cursor becomes this symbol:
Posted Image

Issue 2:
W.E, when opening, shows thumbnails (that's correct, I chose that) that are arranged by modification EVERY TIME I open W.E and I choose for them to be arranged by name. It happens also with my Music too.

Any bit of help is appreciated, I'd really like resolutions. Thanks.

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
try doing a sfc /scannow

start....run.... sfc /scannow ...click ok

notice the space between the c and /
this is your windows protection file
it may correct your problem
but it may also ask for your xp cd
so have it handy

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Alright, I did what you said, wasn't prompted for an xp cd (and don't even think I have one) but I just watched it refresh so it didn't work. :-\

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Hello, ILoveDaniel

I am not sure I can resolve your issue but I am wondering this:

Is this on your own personal computer?
Are you on a network?
Do you have administrative rights on this computer?

PsychPosse

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hello, to answer your questions:

Yes
No
Yes

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
You can try some things:

Open windows explorer
click Tools,FolderOptions,View
uncheck the box: Automatically search for network folders and printers.

See if that helps.

Also, are you up to date with service packs?

Edited by PsychPosse, 21 October 2007 - 09:01 PM.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
That box was not checked in the first place. :\

But yes, I'm up to date.

mitz

mitz

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am wondering if you have the correct video or display driver ????

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I'm not sure, I mean I don't know when exactly this began to happen but I assume it was about a half a year ago but I've had this since like..2003.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hello ILoveDaniel

I am assuming you have ruled out malware? Try to clean your system with a few tools like CCleaner, My guess is that it is a small tweak in the settings. Also try and update your video drivers.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Hello ILoveDaniel

I am assuming you have ruled out malware? Try to clean your system with a few tools like CCleaner, My guess is that it is a small tweak in the settings. Also try and update your video drivers.

You will want to be careful using CCleaner it has some functions if not set properly could leave you in a worse situation then you are now.

Adrenalin I know your trying to be helpful and we appreciate it but no one is allowed to be giving malware advice other than malware staff.

an online virus scan could rule out malware very quickly

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
don77,

I hear you...

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Hello ILoveDaniel

Yes, I've ruled out malware because I've had some past problems with other issues and I've probably been given every malware tool suggested to me and I've had no avail from any of it, even CCCleaner, which I also have.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Earlier (months and months ago) I asked for help on a topic and I got one reply, replied to that, and received no answer after that. I'm having two windows explorer, both aren't serious (I don't think) but they're annoying as [bleep].

Is this when it started happening? Does the PC ever give you any error codes?

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Yes, I'd say appx. 5-6 months ago. No, no error codes whatsoever. :)