Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how much longer will Win98 last?

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Just wanted to throw something out for fun - how long will Windows 98 last? I mean - they even have a "planned date" for "plain" TV's so that we will HAVE to get HiDef for next replacement! I just wondered when the billboard was going to fall on me to enlighten me that DUH!! You have GOT to change!

Appreciate the thoughts.

bamakodaker

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no one will MAKE you change from 98....you should upgrade...but no one will MAKE you change...you're just (as you are now for sure) going to find it harder and harder to find sotware and hardware that's compatible with your system

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 98 does not "time out". If you wanted to, you can run it forever and a day. However software support for Win98 is minimal now and will be effectively obsolete by next Easter.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Thanks for your response.

Now I wonder - why did you say support would be over next Easter?

Yeah, the writing is on the wall. My Compaq is maxed out on Win 98. Can't even go to W98 SE! Not having any real problems but - - - might have to consider Christmas sales! - - Which brings up another thought, what is coming out after Vista and when??

bamakodaker

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
After Vista Microsoft is working on a project for an operating system that uses web based applications. It will be a whole new ball game as far as users are concerned.

As for me, I'm not even using Windows for my day to day activities, I'm on Linux. I used a Windows machine yesterday to make a BIOS floppy disk.

What are the specs on your Compaq? You may be able to add memory and a bigger faster hard drive and use it a few more years with Linux, or even image your copy of win98 to the new disk and get more usage. You basically can't reinstall win98 because you can no longer get the needed updates, so if you want to keep it those are your alternatives.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Thanks for your response. I do not have the specs for my Compaq Pressario 5150. It's HD crashed and my wallet only allowed me to buy a new HD that amazingly was right at the max for what it could handle!! I learned a lot AFTER I bought that new HD but God must have directed me to that 240-250GB HD (size?)!!! I've added RAM so it's maxed out - well, I'm sure someone else might squeeze a little bit more out of it but we've had it a LONG time - according to my son who claims he was in the 3rd grade when we got it and he's now in his 3rd year of college!!?

Hmmm, you bring up a point - what type things would I lose by going to new computer? Would there be many programs Win 98 has that will not be read by other OS's? I may need to start preparing things to be retyped or whatever.

To me that sounds like a new major topic - preparing to move to a new computer/OS, what can easily move and programs you may need to assist. Just my two cents!

Much thanks for your time,
bamakodaker