Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No apparent power

• Please log in to reply

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

Of all the computers I have built this is the first time I have had this problem.

When I push the on button, nothing happens.

This is a new build for my wife, and she's patiently waiting for:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard
Intel E6750 CPU
2GB G. Skill 6400 memory
MSI NX8600GTS vid card
Seagate SATA2 160GB HDD
500W Cooler Master PSU

The problem is when I try to turn it on, nothing happens.

I checked the PSU with an Antec tester and it seems OK, I even tried another new PSU with the same result.

I noticed, however, as I unplug the ATX connector I get a brief start of the PSU and case fans. I've double checked the ATX (20+4 pin) orientation and pin configuration to no avail.

Any thoughts?

duncan

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried setting up all the hardware outside of the case on a piece of cardboard? you might be grounding the board somewhere on the case

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

have you tried setting up all the hardware outside of the case on a piece of cardboard? you might be grounding the board somewhere on the case

OK, it's in a Cooler Master ATCS case with a removable motherboard tray. I tried it with just the CPU,memory, and the vid card.......it works!!!

Now, I'll start adding parts one at a time and see what happens.

Thanks,

duncan

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
good plan....also make sure that you've got the standoffs set up on the board

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

OK, it's in a Cooler Master ATCS case with a removable motherboard tray. I tried it with just the CPU,memory, and the vid card.......it works!!!

Now, I'll start adding parts one at a time and see what happens.

Thanks,

duncan

That didn't go so well. I added the HDD and it started OK then, I tried a floppy and it would no longer turn on. All of this was done outside the case on a non-conductive surface.

I'm back to the vid card and CPU, and memory, it won't start anymore???

duncan

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, I think the motherboard has a problem.

I got a floppy, a SATA burner and harddrive to work long enough to Fdisk and then install XP Pro.

I then installed the drivers for the motherboard and video card, rebooting as required. Next, I let it idle for a while then shut down and added the second harddrive. Now it won't turn on. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....what size PSU are you using?

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

....what size PSU are you using?

It's a cheepo Cooler Master 500 watt, I am running again now on a 450W with some stuff unplugged.
I just ordered a 650W, maybe that will help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you hoook everything BUT the second hard drive up and still have it boot?

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have the second HDD in, but I had to pull the plug on the USB ports for the card reader and two case front USB ports.

I just tried to plug in the two case front USB ports and it was a no go, unplugged and got it to boot up.

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have the second HDD in, but I had to pull the plug on the USB ports for the card reader and two case front USB ports.

I just tried to plug in the two case front USB ports and it was a no go, unplugged and got it to boot up.

I solved one problem......ME. When I plugged in the connectors for the case front USB ports, I had them backwards. Now, I can boot up with this 450W PSU, next I'll try the 500W Cooler Master again. I wish I could get it to work because I spent a day sleeving it all blue and silver. BTW, it checks out OK with an Antec PSU tester.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I solved one problem......ME.

Yeah, you got to watch out for those ones! :) I should think the Cooler Master 500W would be alright, it's a good brand manufacturer.

When you say it boots up now, does that mean everything seems to be going sweet - no other errors?

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm running with 2 SATA HDDs and a SATA DVD burner on a 450W SAGA PSU right now, but I have yet to power up an ATA DVD drive. I still want to try the 500W Cooler Master PSU when I am up to switching things around again.

dlcampbe

dlcampbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, I got everything set up and working on the 450W PSU, and today I tried the original 500W PSU and everything works. My only conclusion is that I must have had some faulty connections which, after plugging and unplugging things so many times, are now working. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad you got it working! thanks for letting us know