Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lightning struck near home... Monitor adjusting problem...

• Please log in to reply

jocacobe

jocacobe

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey guys,

About a week ago, there was a storm near my house and lightning struck near. My HP Pavilion mx70 17'' monitor's geometical adjustments are all messed up. It seems to be blurry and vertical/horizontal adjustments are crazy. A friend of mine told me to boot my pc in VGA mode, and that's the only way i can use it, but still i need to fix this... I'm running my computer on XP Pro SP2, just in case that helps. Please help me... anyone!

- jocacobe

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Hey guys,

About a week ago, there was a storm near my house and lightning struck near. My HP Pavilion mx70 17'' monitor's geometical adjustments are all messed up. It seems to be blurry and vertical/horizontal adjustments are crazy. A friend of mine told me to boot my pc in VGA mode, and that's the only way i can use it, but still i need to fix this... I'm running my computer on XP Pro SP2, just in case that helps. Please help me... anyone!

- jocacobe

Hello Jocacobe:

Is your PC running OK other then this problem? I would suspect that there may be some sort of problem other then just the strike against the monitor - lightning can do strange things to PC's and peripherals as well - If this is your only problem, then I would hazard to guess that the video card may be a tad flakey - the strike could have damaged your monitor as well.

Would suggest that you investigate the whole system to make sure that the problem is just the monitor because as stated above, lightning can do some wicked damage sometimes

Good Luck!!

Brian

jocacobe

jocacobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey brian,

My computer seems to be ok other than the monitor problem (I think). What seems weird is that in VGA mode, the display and the vertical/horizontal adjustments are good, but it only looks good under the lowest resolution. When i boot my pc normally, it messes up, and I've tried messing around with the display configuration like frequency and stuff, but it doesn't seem to get fixed...

Thanks...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi jocacobe!

Are you able to test this computer with another monitor? That would help troubleshoot where the problem really lies. Judging from your last post (#3), it sounds like you are having problems with your drivers. Have you updated your graphics card drivers to the latest?

Also, I'm a little confused - what do you mean by VGA mode? What's the difference between booting "normal" and booting into "VGA mode"?

jocacobe

jocacobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey FPV,

Right now i can't test the pc with another monitor, but i will try to do it on the weekend. In terms of the drivers, i haven't updated them since i installed my video card. By VGA mode, i mean when the computer starts and you press F8 for advanced options, it says 'enable VGA mode', that's the only way it looks normal. I'll try to reinstall the drivers and test it in another monitor on the weekend. I'll repost later.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay let us know what happens.