Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I just noticed you are canadian. :)
Look at NCIX, they are in vancouver and might even have better prices. If they don't, they will match this sites prices.
www.NCIX.com
They have forums (and call support), and if you ever need help, they are there so you don't have to be worried about being left alone if something goes wrong.
James

Advertisements

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Man you rock, i cant say how much i appreciate it, they have to call to confirm the order and i will cancel it.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Downgrading to cheaper parts in order to get a GTX will benefit you a lot.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I justed posted another site that might interest you.
Can you plese answer these two questions?
-Do you plan on overclocking?
-Do you plan on ever doing SLI?
If so we still have changes to be made, also I might be able to save you a bit more money to just wait :)
James

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yea, memory express is in cowtown and they are good to deal with i think i will stay with them.....is it snowing in winnipeg yet.....
I am in Peru right now working, i will be back in Calgary soon.
Any thoughts on the hard drive.....i have a 300 gig that i am gonna steal from my old pc for storage.

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Oh yea....and any suggestions on the mobo?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:) Not yet, give it till halloween, thats when the lopsided weather will arrive. :)
No snow one day, 1 foot the next. Not to mention temperature can vary as much as 40*C between to days, with the windchill factored in of course.
As for the hard drive, go for it.
If you can find some cheaper rates on NCIX, I'd see if this place your dealing with will match them. For being locals though, they have pretty reasonable rates
By the way I'm gelous about you being in the warmth, but 10*C isn't to bad right now I guess. I just preparing for the -50*C weather.....ekkk!
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Unless you have enough data to fill the 300GB hard drive, no point in even bothering with a new drive. I mean performance will be slightly better on a new drive, but not significantly better.
I cannot suggest a motherboard unless you tell me if you plan on overclocking or SLI in the future.
Also, why not go for a quad for a little more if you do plan on overclock.
Glade I came across this thread in the nick of time.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 October 2007 - 03:37 PM.

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
im gonna build another on the site....gimme ten

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What NCIX?
Can you tell me if you plan on overclocking or SLI in the future? Please.
James

Advertisements

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
YES.....i am planning on going SLI in the future........
And i want to have 2 drives as i usually backup the os drive and unplug the other till i need to dump again.

Heres the new build....

1 x Antec - Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case ( $109.95 )
1 x Intel - Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 3.00GHz w/ 4MB Cache ( $294.95 )
1 x Western Digital - Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache ( $204.95 )
1 x Assemble - Assemble Hardware + Load my O/S ( $70.00 )
1 x PIONEER - DVR-212D 18x18x10 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, SATA, Black (OEM - No Software) ( $39.95 )
1 x GIGABYTE - GA-N650SLI-DS4 w/ DualDDR2 800, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, Dual PCI-E x16 SLI ( $154.95 )
2 x CRUCIAL - BallistiX 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB) ( $189.90 )
1 x PC Power & Cooling - Silencer 750 Quad Power Supply ( $169.95 )
1 x Microsoft - Windows Vista Home Premium x86 (32-bit) DVD, OEM, 1-Pack ( $129.95 )
1 x eVGA - e-GeForce 8800 GTX SuperClocked 768MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out ( $629.95 )

Sub Total $1,994.50

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Where are you getting that GTX.
http://www.ncix.com/...?minorcatid=108
http://www.memoryexp...X15026(ME).aspx
Both these sites are significantly cheaper.
I wouldn't get overclocked versions of the card as they are quite simple to overclock yourself, your call though, because I know many people don't feel comfortable to do so.
Why do you like the raptor so much, you know that the physically speed of the drive isn't the only thing that affects performance, right?
Otherwise it looks like your good to order.
Just want to let you know that the 780i boards are coming out November 12th if you want to wait, it might open your options a bit more because I don't know if the 650i boards will support intels upcoming processor, Penryn. So far the only boards with officially support the new processors are the three following chipsets, P35, x38 and soon the x48.
James

BR-CHINOOK

BR-CHINOOK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK...... i think this is the final final build of a really good basic Gaming PC, i can upgrade for a long time to come i think.

1 x Antec - Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case ( $109.95 )
1 x Intel - Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 3.00GHz w/ 4MB Cache ( $294.95 )
1 x Western Digital - Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache ( $204.95 )
1 x Assemble - Assemble Hardware + Load my O/S ( $70.00 )
1 x PIONEER - DVR-212D 18x18x10 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, SATA, Black (OEM - No Software) ( $39.95 )
2 x CRUCIAL - BallistiX 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB) ( $189.90 )
1 x PC Power & Cooling - Silencer 750 Quad Power Supply ( $169.95 )
1 x Microsoft - Windows Vista Home Premium x86 (32-bit) DVD, OEM, 1-Pack ( $124.95 )
1 x GIGABYTE - GA-P35-DS4 w/ DualDDR2 1066, 7.1+2 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16 Crossfire ( $209.95 )
1 x eVGA - e-GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out ( $539.95 )

Sub Total $1,954.50

Thanks again James for some really good advice........
Do you do any gaming, maybe we can meet up for a good fragging, also if you come through Calgary, let me know, i owe you some Beers!!!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Thanks again James for some really good advice........
Do you do any gaming, maybe we can meet up for a good fragging, also if you come through Calgary, let me know, i owe you some Beers!!!

I still recommend a 750GB drive over a raptor. The raptors are generally louder, hotter and less reliable because of their faster rotating platter. Performance is nearly the same and you won't notice any difference in real world applications, aside from the fact that you will have 5x the capacity on the larger drive.
I will be sure to be playing Crysis for a while, if I like the demo, it's being released tomorrow by the way :)
:) Glade I could help, maybe a rye and coke :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 October 2007 - 11:48 AM.