Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power supply upgrade help!

• Please log in to reply

fear187

fear187

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok, I need some help. I want to get a new video card that needs a minimum of a 450 Watt power supply.
My PC: Model: Sony VGC-RA834G and it has a unique power suply setup in the way the power supply mounts into the case. The power supply it came with it only a 285 watt.

I have some photos I took to show you guys so you know what I'm trying to explain. On the power supply, it has 2 bolt heads that stick up, and these two bolt heads are what holds the power supply into the PC Case (kinda like, you just move a lock, and then the power supply can be quickly taken out kinda thing).

My problem is, how do I upgrade to a new/bigger power supply? (Pretty sure new power supplies won't come with the bolt head looking things to mount it into my case? (And I tried unscrewing the bolt head looking things from the power supply, but I'm pretty sure they aren't meant to be removed (don't seem to want to unscrew).

Any help would be very appreciated. Here are the photos below (links are to photobucket).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I have heard about problems with upgrading Sony PSUs. I think you are going to have to ask for one from Sony, or find one on eBay.

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
well I looked through newegg and failed to find any PSUs that happen the have a pre drilled hole in the location of your little nob thingers. if worse comes to worse I'm more of a DIY guy so I would drill some small holes a little smaller than the screws remember it's better to drill too small than to drill too big. (careful of whats inside) and get some short sheet metal screws with a wide head.

after looking at your case some more I've realized that wouldn't completely solve your prob. as you don't have the screw holes on the back of your case that go into the front face of the PSU (the side with the 3 prong plug and power switch) nothing a drill can't fix BUT if you have the money I'd just get a new case, ASSUMING that your MOBO isn't sony specific in which case you don't have many otions, either buy new case and mobo or drill holes. personally I've never seen a PSU like that but I make a habbit of staying far far away from anything with the word Sony and this is one reason why

I didn't look super hard on new egg so you might be able to find one none the less,
good luck!

Edited by pr0n, 23 October 2007 - 11:41 PM.