Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to recover pictures...

• Please log in to reply

Azure1203

Azure1203

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have a problem...

one of my friends was trying to 'cut' and paste pictures....and after she clicked 'cut' and started to move a few pictures...her computer crashed before she could click paste.

Is there any possible way to retrieve them?

I found this on bleeping computer...

Do not worry, though, as the original document you cut will not be deleted until a valid copy is pasted elsewhere.

So where is it stored?

Also, there is a chance that the computer has been restarted numerous times since the mistake happened.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When using cut & paste, what you "cut" is stored in memory until you "paste" it somewhere else.
If you cut something, then your computer falls over, you'll have lost what you cut.
However if you didn't save your work after you cut whatever, it'll still be in the original document. If you did save the work, then you've lost what you've cut with no way of getting it back.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the part of the disk in which the pictures were stored was not written over then there is a good chance that you will be able to restore the pictures and save them. Please note that the process may be long (can take hours) and will restore every picture it encounters on the way, even old, deleted, ones.

The program is called PC Inspector Smart Recovery and you may download it from here.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I have used a program called ZAR with quite good results. Both programs are for digital media such as cards, but I tried ZAR on my HD and it started to recover them. The digital picture recovery is free. The other portion is what costs. I havent used that portion.

Find ZAR at http://<strong class...span></strong>/.

It looks like The skeptics program is quite promising also. I am putting that 1 in my goody bag.

Azure1203

Azure1203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks guys! :)