Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Privacy Control Disk Cleaners

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
ARe Disk Cleaners which clean out all history and registry hidden index/dat files safe to use

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
history and temp file cleaners are quite safe to use, but any which include a registry cleaner should be avoided since they can 'break' your Windows. By far the best and most popular one is 'Ccleaner' which is totally free. However, it does include a 'Registry Cleaner' which I advise against using just in case it screws something up. But everything else it does is quite safe. I haven't found anything to beat it, either free or paid for, and millions of other users will agree.

CCleaner here: http://www.ccleaner.com/

Edited by pip22, 24 October 2007 - 09:37 AM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I already have been using CCleaner on a steady basis but I worry about any records of my credit card numbers which have been used on the internet to order dowload licences. Also due to the fact that I design CD and DVD covers for other, I really worry about privacy issues.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Well CCleaner will erase any web-pages on which you've entered your c/card details, and in any case such web-pages are encrypted to prevent them being read by anyone else when your details are transferred over the net. If anyone tries to open such a page on your PC from the history files, it will simply say "the page has expired" and it won't open. As an extra precaution, if you use IE for c/card transactions or banking, you should do this:

1. Open IE and go to Tools>Internet Options.
2. Click on the 'Advanced' tab
3. Scroll down to the 'Security' section (the padlock icon)
4. Where it says "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" make sure this is TICKED.
5.Click OK.

Now whenever you go on to a secure website (where your details are encrypted) those pages will not be saved on your PC.