Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating new profile, lost it all!

• Please log in to reply

Enuff2Bdangerous

Enuff2Bdangerous

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey guys. Hopefully you can help. Old profile on home PC was corrupt. Opted to create a new one. Followed directions to a T from another post. All went smooth until I started copying all my files from the corrupt profile folder to the next. Kept getting an error that it couldn't transfer a file because another service was using it. Started disabling services. Accidentally shut down one I shouldn't have. Windows freaked out. Shut down. When it came back up the old profile was gone along with all my files. I know they're still there by the space taken up on my HD but I can't find them. Please help. Running XP Media 2002 SP2. I appreciate any help. Kids pics and stuff ya know? Thank you.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Enuff2bdangerous! Welcome to G2G!

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<accountname>\ and you should see all the folders there, including My Documents, Favorites, etc...

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 24 October 2007 - 03:25 PM.

Enuff2Bdangerous

Enuff2Bdangerous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Never got to thank you Fenor so.......Thanks.

Enuff2Bdangerous

Enuff2Bdangerous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Found the folder and now I get an access denied window now. Please help. I'm getting really frustrated.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You may need to Take Ownership of the files to recover them. You will likely have to do this from Safe Mode.