Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home built PC not showing up desktop

• Please log in to reply

mrsquirrel79

mrsquirrel79

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i recently built a computer for my dad. with the exception of having to get a different type of RAM, the computer worked just fine. started up, got to the desktop, etc. he recently signed up for cable internet and got the modem and got the modem and everything. i tried setting it up and it said it didn't find a network device and wasn't connected to the internet. finally, after having the comcast guy come out and look at it, he determined that the ethernet driver hadn't been installed. i used the driver disk from the motherboard to install the driver(of which it reinstalled all the drivers automatically), and then after i rebooted it, the desktop wasn't showing up. everything was started up fine until it got to the desktop and then it went blank.

i thought maybe if i reinstalled windows that it might reset whatever drivers were installed to begin with and i could start from there. while it was reinstalling it asked to put in the driver disk to install the ethernet driver. i thought this was a good sign, but alas, after the install was complete it still didn't show the desktop.

the computer doesn't shut down, or make beeps, or anything else out of the ordinary except go blank when it gets to the desktop. i am just wondering what else i could try to get it to work again the way it should. please help!! he's waiting oh so patiently to have a working computer and i'm getting impatient trying to fix it. :)

Advertisements

turn 5

turn 5

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
step 1)Reformat the hard drive.
step 2)reinstall Windows XP
step 3)before you install ANY drivers make sure to set a restore point in system restore.