Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I use a PC power supply for another purpose.

• Please log in to reply

kc-bolen

kc-bolen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The short story: I have an old Compaq, 20 pin connector, 250W power supply that I want to use to run several 3", 12v, .4 mA cooling fans. Which pins do I shunt, use as a switch, to make the ps always hot when ac power is applied to the 115v power cord.
The long story: We have hot water baseboard heat which has always been less than satisfactory. Last year I installed a ps (which has a switch) to power pc cooling fans in 7 of the baseboard units which has greatly increased the comfort level while decreasing the utility cost. I have it wired so the fans come on when the hot water circulating pump starts. I've used all the 12v leads on the present ps. I have 8 more heat exchangers that need the fans installed but can't figure how to make the ps always hot so it too will be dependent on my pump cycles.
Ken B

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.instructa...egular-DC-Powe/ specifically step 2 in that instructable..

kc-bolen

kc-bolen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you! It works great. It's amazing how easy everything is when you find somebody that knows how!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe there's a philisophical theory that states that everything that could possibly be known is already known...it's just a matter of collecting the data into a single source