Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply Makes High-Pitched Capacitor Noise

• Please log in to reply

Lupine_moon

Lupine_moon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:) First off these are the specs were working with. :)

Mainboard : Asus A7N266VM
Chipset : nVidia nForce
Processor : AMD Athlon XP @ 2000 MHz
Physical Memory : 768 MB
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce2 Integrated Graphics [NVCrush11]
Hard Disk : Maxtor (41 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (80 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22L
CD-Rom Drive : Generic STEALTH DVD SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL E771p - 15 inches
Network Card : Nvidia Corp nForce Networking Adapter
Network Card : Broadcom Corp BCM4306(??) 802.11g Wireless NIC
Operating System : Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4
DirectX : Version 9.0c (November 2006)

Now then, the un-listed portion.... the power supply model... here's the situation... i have the above system and im trying to upgrade my video card to nothing too fancy, ( geforce ti 4200 or the fx 5200)... i have tried bolth cards and the same problem shows up... i want to upgrade the video card and i happen to have a free AGP slot. so i power down the system exc. pop the new card in (geforce ti-4200); turn it on.... works great.....untill about an hour or less later when the system emits this Terrible high pitched capacitor noise (the timing varies). i tracked it down to inside the power supply somewhere.

at the Time the power supply was an ultra V Series 400w power supply model# ult-400p; problem is the same with the geforce fx 5200 agp vid card

so i went down to the semi-local computer store of epic size and purchased a brand new still in the box panther 450w power supply( made by rhino)

The problem is worse now and the noise is still in the power supply somewhere. now when i plug in the video card it does not wait for an hour. right when i press the power button it starts emiting the terrible high-pitched noise

i changed almost all the fans out in my case so its not a fan issue... and i just checked all the capacitors on the motherboard no bulging... the power supply works fine when i dont have a video card in the AGP slot (that goes for the new and the old power supplys....) Aahh and also i did try underclocking the geforce ti-4200, no good still got the noise.

i think that about covers it for the problem... as you can see i want a new video card and i dont want my ears blown out or my system to take a dive... thats the problem in a nut shell.... i hope you folks can help me out id really appreciate it im all out of ideas :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Lupine_moon! Welcome to Geeks to Go!

The problem here, as I see it, is not that you have enough watts (450 should be fine), but that I can't find any information on Rhino PSU's. I'm guessing it's a rather generic unit that most probably a) has poor efficiency, and b) is not putting enough power through the 12v+ rail.

I would recommend taking the unit back to the shop and see if you can either get your money back or exchange it for an upgrade. Even though the AGP cards you have aren't very power hungry, but they still need to be getting enough with headroom left over. Something like an Antec True Power Trio 550W should be more than enough for your needs, a very good PSU.

Lupine_moon

Lupine_moon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
these are the specs on the psu

Rhino Panther 450W ATX Power Supply

1x 120mm Fan

Input Voltage: 115/230 V

Output: +3.3V@20A, +5V@26A, +12V@21A,
[email protected], [email protected], +5VSB @ 2.0A

Connectors: 20+4 pins main power, 4 pin ATX-12V, 1x SATA, 6x 4 pin Molex, 1x Floppy, 1x PCI-E 6-Pin

Lupine_moon

Lupine_moon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank you for the quick response and the very warm welcome :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I would recommend taking the unit back to the shop and see if you can either get your money back or exchange it for an upgrade.

Let us know what you think of this idea... Or what you choose to do...

Lupine_moon

Lupine_moon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well im headed in to replace the power supply this weekend yet again. you wouldnt believe the luck. im going to try for a CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 500w ATX Power Supply

its the same price as the 450 i purchased and statistics have to be on my side. besides i cant currently afford anything better so we shall see what happens with this one. heres a link to the company webpage for statistics on the psu

http://www.coolermas...u...te=22&id=59

i dont have the new one yet i just hope they have some in and i dont have to order it, the computer store is around 14-15 miles away. Wish me luck :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Erm, good luck? :)

Lupine_moon

Lupine_moon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:) :) Got a new power supply a week ago or so, 500w this time; machine is working great so far i havent had to Destroy anything :)
i appreciate the help, im really glad you folks are around, keep doing what you do best and thanks again :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's good news! Thanks for letting us know :)