Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista wont recognize camera

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Im starting to get sick of Vista. And now I cant even use my camera on it. I connect my Powershot to my comp using the cord and of course i need to install a driver that doesnt exist. So now I cant use my camera. Vista seriously sucks, and if it didnt have DX10 i would have never bought it.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Drumbum667! It seems a lot of people aren't impressed with the driver support from Vista... :)

I have an idea, though - seeing as your printer isn't working either (you say it's old), why not grab a new printer that is Vista Certified and has a built-in card reader? That way you can pull the card out of the digital camera and connect it to the printer card reader, and Vista should pick it up.

Just an idea that may kill two birds with one stone, as the saying goes... :)

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
One way out of your predicament is use card-reader instead of connecting the camera to the PC. Buy a card reader that has a slot to match your type of memory card. Plug the card reader into a spare USB port on the PC -- Vista will automatically recognise it as a 'mass storage device' (no driver to install). Now remove the memory card from your camera and insert it into the card-reader.

Very few people connect the camera to the PC to download images these days - it's fiddly and slow. A card-reader is so much more convenient.

Previous post is also a good idea (new printer with built-in reader) but if you a buy a standalone card-reader you can place it right on your desk next to the monitor where it will be easy to reach, and you can then be free to choose a new printer based purely on it's price and/or printing quality, not based on it having a card-reader as the first priority.

Edited by pip22, 26 October 2007 - 03:22 AM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I think Im going to take ur advice and buy a new printer with a built in card reader. Thanks for the help.