Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Internet at 2 hotels.

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
HI guys!

It's been a while that i posted on here. I have a 2 friends who own hotels/motels. the Setups are a little different and I will try and explain what is going on with each and what I need for each!

One is a hotel - 5 floors and is a solid brick building. There used to be 1 internet line - serving the 5 floors.. but since speed was slow, there are 2 lines now. Both lines come in through the basement - and one goes up to the office on the first floor- and services floors #1 and #2 thru wireless routers and access points!

Now.. the floors 3,4,5 run on the other line - and the cable goes all the way from the basement to the 4th floor by a regular Ethernet cable and then to the Acess points on the same floor. There seems to be a problem all the time.. and most guests are experiencing slow connections. I was wondering what is the best way and cables to use to maximize the use of bandwidth here. it is a 6.0 mbps line and speeds are utterly rubbish at the router. I know there is a new thing - the routers that plugs into the electrical socket and in two different places and it transmits signals.. would that ve a good way to do this - given the distance between the basement and the 4th floor?

Now, the second one is a little more complicated. The second one is more like a motel - and the buildings are spread out. The main office is where the internet connection comes in and then the rooms are spread out into 2 buildings - one is right across form the office - maybe about 60-80 feet. and then then other one about 90-100 feet on the side. Both buildings are long - just like a regular motel. what would be the best way to go about setting up wireless internet here? I know they have antennas and all that. But i have no clue as to what to use

Hope that you guys can help me out with this..

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Wireless Room Service for Hotels and Motels
Example equipment:
Agere Orinoco AP-2000
SMC EZ Connect SMCANT-DI135 omni directional high gain antenna.

Use a T-1 line or better. Something with max bandwidth that will serve the number of customers expected plus a generous overlap. Keep security in mind.

Related" Wireless and WiFi Forum

There's other considerations, but I would try to contact a company that has done installations of this sort to get the nitty-gritty questions answered.

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i agree with the major....a specialized environment needs specialized equipment and consulting...there are companies who's sole purpose in life is to get people connected at hotels etc...

also you've got to take into account that when you're using a standard ISP connection...that it's shared bandwidth across the board...which means that if everyone in your area is using the same service from the same ISP....well then they're on the same lines as you and lowering your total available bandwidth....something like a T1 or other dedicated ISDN line would remove this....

a T1 is only a 1.54mbps connection...but it's only accessed by your location...so the difference in total download/upload speed evens out most of the time