Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway laptop computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply

JHey

JHey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a gateway laptop Model:MX6440 with Windows XP home addition. Two weeks ago I picked up a trojan which I fixed last week with some suggestions and repair file from Geeks to Go. The trojan was from SafeWebNavigate. After fixing it I made sure that I had downloaded all the most recent XP updates. Everything seemed to be working fine until last night when we were watching a video from I-Tunes. It had been running about an hour when the screen went white with vertical lines. I thought maybe it was just a low battery and plugged it in right away but it made no difference. After waiting a while I unplugged and took out the battery to re-boot. An error came up as "NTdetect Failed" and it kept re-booting. On one of the boots I pressed F10 to get into BIOS and turned of the automatic re-boot and also chose an option to use default settings. When I did this the "NTdetect Failed" message never appeared again but all I got was a blank screen and nothing appeared to be happening. Then on one of the re-boots I noticed there was a Press F11 to start recovery message so I tried that (maybe I shouldn't have done that) but it did not seem to do anything either. Still just a blank screen. Now when I turn on the computer it goes through the screen about F10 and F2 for bios and gives the Press F11 to start recovery message and gives nothing else. Also, if I press F2 (maybe it's F10) to get the option of Safe Mode it does not start up either.

I think I need a recovery disk to boot up but unfortunately I currently live in Switzerland and all my disks are at my home in the US.

What would cause this to happen and what are my options now.

Thanks for any help you can give

Jhey

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's likely the system file NTDETECT.COM has become damaged and needs to be replaced, or the BOOT.INI file contains the wrong information and needs editing. Windows can repair these errors by running the 'repair' option from the XP CD. Without the CD however it's difficult to see how you will be able to make any progress with this problem, unless you can borrow an XP CD just to run the repair utility. For that purpose it can be any XP CD (as long as it's the same version and language). It doesn't need to be the one supplied with the PC.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi JHey.

This may help.

Booting Hangs at a Black Screen with a Blinking White Underscore Cursor