Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 / PC Media Sharing Issues-- Please help

• Please log in to reply

Fazumar

Fazumar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok-- This is beginning to become very frustrating, and I now see that there are LOTS of others out here having the same problems I am having.

Here is my situation.

I am running a Windows XP SP2 machine- Attempting to get my brand new xbox 360 to "media share".

My home network is set up as follows:

Charter high speed internet (ISP)
NETGEAR FS105 (Hub/Switch)
PC
XBOX

The Pc and Xbox BOTH have internet connectivity through the switch, however, I am consistantly "failing" the PC test during the media connect on the 360.

Also-- my WMP11 Does not "see" the 360 in the media share tab.

I have tried almost every suggestion i have seen.

I even did a fresh FORMAT of my CPU today incase I had some weird old firewall running... but same results.

I have .NET 2.0 installed-- and as far as I can tell, all of my settings and connections are valid and work just fine.

My only other nagging suspicion has to do with the MAC addresses of my PC/Xbox.

Charter high speed registers your CPU's MAC address and then only lets IT connect to the internet, so I had to put my PC's MAC address into the alternate MAC address panel on my 360-- I have no idea if that would change anything in this instance, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I am getting very frustrated by this whole process--- my switch allows both the PC and XBOX internet connectivity-- but I cannot for the LIFE of me get them to "see" and share with each other!!

Please help!

-Fazumar

Advertisements

deathcry

deathcry

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i am having the same issue with my xbox360, i can access xbox live but i cant share media on my computer. i am trying everything i can. it might be a router issue, i know that xbox.com gives some hints as to what my help. i am still working on it, if i happen to get anywhere i will let you know. if you happen to solve the problem please let me know. try maybe online support with your router maker, i dont know if it will help or not but worth a shot.

buechler

buechler

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Ok-- This is beginning to become very frustrating, and I now see that there are LOTS of others out here having the same problems I am having.

Here is my situation.

I am running a Windows XP SP2 machine- Attempting to get my brand new xbox 360 to "media share".

My home network is set up as follows:

Charter high speed internet (ISP)
NETGEAR FS105 (Hub/Switch)
PC
XBOX

The Pc and Xbox BOTH have internet connectivity through the switch, however, I am consistantly "failing" the PC test during the media connect on the 360.

Also-- my WMP11 Does not "see" the 360 in the media share tab.

I have tried almost every suggestion i have seen.

I even did a fresh FORMAT of my CPU today incase I had some weird old firewall running... but same results.

I have .NET 2.0 installed-- and as far as I can tell, all of my settings and connections are valid and work just fine.

My only other nagging suspicion has to do with the MAC addresses of my PC/Xbox.

Charter high speed registers your CPU's MAC address and then only lets IT connect to the internet, so I had to put my PC's MAC address into the alternate MAC address panel on my 360-- I have no idea if that would change anything in this instance, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I am getting very frustrated by this whole process--- my switch allows both the PC and XBOX internet connectivity-- but I cannot for the LIFE of me get them to "see" and share with each other!!

Please help!

-Fazumar

This may fix you up.

Goto Control Panel => Administratve Tools => Services
Start SSDP Discovery Service
Start Universal Plug and Play Device Host Service

(To start up a service just double-click on it, set Startup Type to Automatic, and click on the Startup Button)

You should then find that WMP11 Media Sharing will turn on and discover your Xbox. Let us know how it goes.

STU13Y

STU13Y

• Pip
  • 1 posts
howdy everyone

i have this exact same problem.

my router is a D-LINK wireless, DSL G604T. My 360 is wired to it and my PC is connected via wireless.

Trying to share media to my 360 and my PC just cant see it. It connects fine to xbox LIVE so its on the network...the other problem is i cant even ping it? it wont respond in the cmd on XP, so im guessing it may be a router issue?

ive followed instructions to open the correct ports etc but still, it wont work.

ive also tried the above solution with the SSDP discovery etc, but again, nothing :)

any other ideas would be fantastic. On a side note, i also have my original xbox on the same network and i can share my media fine from my XP machine...id just rather it done through my 360, but still i would think if it would work on my old xbox it should work on my 360...

any help would be appreciated :)
Cheers

eaglej

eaglej

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is going to sound odd, but I wonder if it depends on what CPU you have in your PC.

My xbox had been streaming perfectly for over 12 months, then stopped streaming after I upgraded my pc's CPU. I had an old 3.0ghz and upgraded to a quad core q6600.

I have spent the last two days doing all the normal diganostics. Connecting the Xbox directly to the PC. Resetting routers, checking that all the firewall ports were open, ran services.msc to check everything was running. The xbox can connect to LIVE, etc, it just won;t recognise the PC.

The PC can see the Xbox, because the Xbox shows up in Sharing under WMP. I even 'removed it from the list', rebooted everything, then added the 360 back for sharing. I have even installed Zune. Zune picked up the Xbox as well

THEN, I thought I'll put the old CPU back into my PC.

I did that, and even before the PC had finshed booting and I walked from the PC around to the Xbox, the Xbox proudly showed 2 PC connections, one for WMP and one for Zune.

Put the new q6600 CPU back in, nothing.

Now I was reading on another forum about xbox's not streaming, and he too had a q6600.

Is there something that a quad core processor is doing to stop the streaming. This is 100% confirmed. I have just put the pc back together with the new quad core 6600. Old CPU, everything worked in seconds, New CPU, the Xbox won't stream. Is there some extra resources that a quar core takes up ? is there something in the BIOS that I can change ?

Be interested to know peoples thoughts,

eaglej.

espion

espion

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys.

I had the same problem and just found a solution that finally allowed my PC to see my XBox. I thought I'd post it here so the rest of you can finally overcome this issue. All credit goes to Alex (OldSchoolGamer) on the www.technologyquestions.com forums for providing this answer:

Ok this is not an issue with a firewall, it took me 3 calls and about 12
transfers to get an answer. For phone help dial 1800-4MY-XBOX then get to
live console help and ask to speak to the hardware department. Describe
issue, most likely will get transferred a couple times till you end up back
at the hardware depart, let them know its a pc failed message. They can walk
you through it.

Its basically a DRM (data rights management) problem. Steps to fix are as
followed:

Click start, go to run
type services.msc
go to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
double click it and hit stop

then you will need to be able to see all hidden files and folders:
Open my computer window, and click on the tools tab at the top and select
folder options, and click the view tab

Scroll down make sure show hidden files and folders is shown
then scroll further down and uncheck hide protected operating system
files(recommended)

then you must delete the DRM files in Windows Media center folder:
Click on My Computer, choose your harddrive (usually C:) click on documents
and settings folder, then All Users Folder, and you should see DRM folder
Double click DRM folder
Control and a to select all the files, then shift delete (to skip sending to
the recycle bin), then hit yes, now close this window

Go back to run, type services.msc and highlight Windows Media Player Network
Sharing Services and right click and select start, this should fix the
problem varify you are still sharing the connection via windows media player,
library tab, share media option, and that it still sees your xbox,

restart xbox: go to media tab and select music, choose computer it should
now search and (yes finally) find your computer

Have a nice day
-Alex

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
I don't know if this is the same type of problem, but My XP Media Center PC and my xbox won't connect to each other either. when I checked on the problem, I found that Oddessy Runs MCE 2002, and XBOX 360 runs a version that is compatible with MCE 2005. Is there a way to somehow make my 2002 MCE and my Xbox be able to connect to each other, as I believe that it is hard to get a version of MCE 2005 for my machine - Unless I wanna go Vista here......

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Brian

k31ron

k31ron

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi guys.

I had the same problem and just found a solution that finally allowed my PC to see my XBox. I thought I'd post it here so the rest of you can finally overcome this issue. All credit goes to Alex (OldSchoolGamer) on the www.technologyquestions.com forums for providing this answer:

Have a nice day
-Alex

Brilliant Alex thnaks so much for posting this!, ive been stuck trying to share my media for ages, this worked a treat!!

mboy12

mboy12

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
ive followed all the steps here and have been on the xbox website for hours trying to figure out how to share media. It still wont work. can anyone help??

Eluzion32

Eluzion32

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK. This is for XP.( i dont know about a MAC)...Open your Windows Media player 9, 10, or 11(which ever u have). At the top of the program where it says Library Rip Burn Sync, open up the library tab and go to *more options* in the pop-up menu, click the library tab, then configure sharing button...from there,u should have the choice to allow or deny any device. It does recognize the 360. Just in-case, make sure the 360 is on,when u allow it.

Advertisements

indigoelite

indigoelite

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi there
i have tried al these steps AND still my xbox 360 says' pc not listed'

help please?

kev

K4rn43

K4rn43

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello people, I had the same problem that most of you have had, but if you just follow the steps on this link then you should be fine.http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_I_get_an_Error_1068_when_I_try_to_share_my_media_in_WMP11_in_WXP_pro_sp2_
start_service_in_services

Edited by K4rn43, 19 January 2009 - 11:58 AM.

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
As far as i can tell, Fazumar created this topic. Dispite the fact that your problem may be similar in relation. I suggest creating your own topic under Console Games Here. It's extreamly difficult to help with each individual problem if you do not post your specific symptoms in a new Topic. When all users bunch together their symptoms in one topic, we do not know who has been helped and who still needs help.

Philip Toews

Philip Toews

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think I am having the same problem as you. I upgraded my CPU from Core2 Duo to Core2 Quad 6600 and all of a sudden my xbox can't see my PC. There are a few anomalies:

1. I can kinda sorta connect the xbox to to the Media Center. I say kinda sorta because it will play music but give me a "I don't have that codec" error for all my video footage. All the same footage plays fine on the Media Center PC no problem... but not on the xbox.

2. The xbox returns a "PC not listed" error even though it was working just fine when the Core2 duo processor was in place.

3. My PlayStation 3 no longer recognizes the Media Center (it did before).

Did you ever find a solution?

This is going to sound odd, but I wonder if it depends on what CPU you have in your PC.

My xbox had been streaming perfectly for over 12 months, then stopped streaming after I upgraded my pc's CPU. I had an old 3.0ghz and upgraded to a quad core q6600.

I have spent the last two days doing all the normal diganostics. Connecting the Xbox directly to the PC. Resetting routers, checking that all the firewall ports were open, ran services.msc to check everything was running. The xbox can connect to LIVE, etc, it just won;t recognise the PC.

The PC can see the Xbox, because the Xbox shows up in Sharing under WMP. I even 'removed it from the list', rebooted everything, then added the 360 back for sharing. I have even installed Zune. Zune picked up the Xbox as well

THEN, I thought I'll put the old CPU back into my PC.

I did that, and even before the PC had finshed booting and I walked from the PC around to the Xbox, the Xbox proudly showed 2 PC connections, one for WMP and one for Zune.

Put the new q6600 CPU back in, nothing.

Now I was reading on another forum about xbox's not streaming, and he too had a q6600.

Is there something that a quad core processor is doing to stop the streaming. This is 100% confirmed. I have just put the pc back together with the new quad core 6600. Old CPU, everything worked in seconds, New CPU, the Xbox won't stream. Is there some extra resources that a quar core takes up ? is there something in the BIOS that I can change ?

Be interested to know peoples thoughts,

eaglej.

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Ok, I will state this one more time.

As far as i can tell, Fazumar created this topic. Despite the fact that your problem may be similar in relation. I suggest creating your own topic under Console Games Here. It's extremely difficult to help with each individual problem if you do not post your specific symptoms in a new Topic. When all users bunch together their symptoms in one topic, we do not know who has been helped and who still needs help.