Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with backup of files and reformatting or reinstalling window

• Please log in to reply

wingsforgen

wingsforgen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
With the advice from some friends, as my computer is not even starting up and I would like to try and save my files before reformatting/reinstalling windows xp. They suggested I do this because i managed to get 121 Trojan Horse viruses. yeah, isn't that an achievement? Some good virusscan... NOT! I now have AVG and will

Anyway, I'll make a list of all the problems I've encountered and if anyone is kind/brave enough to try and help me, I would appreciate it greatly... even with just the saving of my files etc... I have my Higher School Certificate exams at the moment, and it would be so helpful to have all my typed notes for my Ancient History exam... and if that's not possible... just saving it would be great.

OK... I'll try to recall the problem history:

-For a while, it has had a problem with freezing constantly, usually within 5 minutes of startup and I restart it a few times, and it will freeze a few times, before staying on and working properly until I close it down.

-Then it started freezing during startup, sometimes starting successfully, sometimes not even starting up.

-It would come up as overheating, which is odd, as all 3 of the fans appear to work, it has an "anti-heat case" (my sister did it), telling me to press F4 and go to the "We are sorry for the inconvenience, but windows was unable to start. etc etc"...then I have the choice of staring in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt or last known configuration and regular start up. The safe mode options don't work, they only stream something like "multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\BATTC.SYS" for about a page and a half like this but with different endings. Then is just stops and goes no further in booting into safemode- just stops there, and I'd restart, go with the last two options.

-I downloaded AVG free, and it told me i had 121 Trojan horse viruses, In the temperature folder of my local settings, it deleted them but im not sure it could just be fixed that easily?? as i've read/been told that they can be really difficult to get rid of.

Then, a couple of attempts after that, my computer won't even startup, i don't want to try too much and "fry" my computer...

So...

Is it best to reformat my computer? or reinstall windows etc...

I have access to external harddrives and other computers with storage space... Am I able to save it? maybe put my HDD in an external and backup files to my friends computer?

Or is it too far gone and the only way i can save it is to take it into a shop and get a huge bill that will take me a very long time to pay off...

Any advice would be really helpful...

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have many times saved data off hard drives by installing them as a slave drive in a different computer. Its not hard to do and is the easiest method i know to save data off a drive. Just make sure you use AVG to scan the drive for viruses in the other computer, if possible. If you cannot access the drive in another computer it is because the file system has been corrupted. Although you may be able to extract data from the drive with recovery software, this takes some good knowledge to be able to do this. For most people its easier to just wipe the drive and start over with it.

SRX660

wingsforgen

wingsforgen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks so much for the help.
i'll get some assistance from a friend, see how it goes.