Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I have two Internet providers on one PC?

• Please log in to reply

Norman-B

Norman-B

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry if this is not the correct place for this thread.

I am at present with Virgin Media for my Broadband. I have signed up for Broadband with TalkTalk. Can I have two modems into my PC?. I am trialing TT before I give notice to VM.
Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Assuming your Virgin Media connection is delivered via cable and the TalkTalk connection via an ADSL landline, then, yes, you can have them running on the same PC at the same time. However, if both modems are designed to be connected to the PC via ethernet, you will need two ethernet/network cards fitted to the PC. If, however, one of the modems connects to the PC via USB, you only need one network card and one free USB port (must be USB 2.0 not the old USB 1.1 which is too slow for anything above 2 megabits/sec bandwidth).

Edited by pip22, 27 October 2007 - 08:46 AM.

Norman-B

Norman-B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Pip, many thanks for your reply.

If I leave Virgin, do I lose my ntl username?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Sorry for the wait. Yes, if you leave NTL/Virgin Media you will no longer be able to use your NTL username or email address. You will be issued with a new username, password and email address from TalkTalk when you open an account with them.

Norman-B

Norman-B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the reply.