Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is still Sygate Personal Firewall (free version 5.6) still secure?

• Please log in to reply

Forsaken Ribeiro

Forsaken Ribeiro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi people. It's been about 3 years since I use Sygate Personal Firewall v-5.6 (free version) and I never ever had problems with it. It asks me if one file may connect to internet; if i don't know the file, i go to http://www.processlibrary.com/ and decide wether it's safe or not to allow it. It's just been perfect. Not one single complaint about it (and better it's free!)...

But since I'm just a normal user, I thought I should ask you guys if it's dangerous using such dated firewall?? I'm certainly not aware of the kind of threats that may be put in risk my pc. I heard about Kero and Comodo firewalls as good free versions of personal firewall.

What do you think guys? It's better switch to one of them or to another free firewall you know? Or it's not worth since they're no better nor simpler than Sygate? Is it Sygate Firewall v-5.6 still secure?

Thank you very much, greetings.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Sygate Personal Firewall is no longer available as a free version -- it's been taken over by Symantec. As such ,the old version you have no longer gets updated. It's still doing it's job, of course, monitoring traffic in and out of your PC, but you should really consider using one that's up to date. If you want a free one, by far the most popular is the basic version of ZoneAlarm:
http://www.pcworld.c...escription.html