Create Account Login to Account

Suddenly can't highlight or drag and drop

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I was going through some old CD's of backup info before tossing them. After going through several of them I discovered that I can no longer highlight text by left clicking and dragging the cursor across text. Also, I cannot simply left click and drag an icon on the desktop. I can right click and use the move here function but not the usual left click.

I suspect that one of the point and shoot type games I opened caused the problem. Doing a system restore did not fix the problem. I really hate to think that I will have to go to the hassel of doing an XP repair installation but I really need the highlight function.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Advertisement

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check your mouse button setting in Control Panel>Mouse. The buttons may have been set to reverse functions, causing the left button to act as the right button, and vice versa. It's the first option in the 'mouse properties>buttons' dialogue.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The buttons had not been changed but I still reinstalled the Logitech mouse software. That did not imporve things either.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello mlwjackson,

Do all other mouse functions work fine?

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Other than drag and drop and highlighting everything appears to work normally. I reinstalled the mouse softwear (it's a logitech wireless optical mouse) and that seemed to help a little bit. I went ahead and did a repair install of XP under the assumption that some of the registry settings were tweaked by the game software. That also helped a little. I am still not back to normal performance but it is marginally tolerable. Any suggestions would still be appreicated.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
mlwjackson,
Does your issue happen in only a specific application?

Edited by tuxmaster, 02 November 2007 - 04:03 PM.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
It is my impression that it happens to about the same degree with all applications. Like I said previously, it has improved, but I still must move at a significantly slower pace to drag and drop and to highlight that what I used to.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried a PS/2 mouse to see if the problem goes away...
or a stand alone usb mouse

Edited by happyrck, 03 November 2007 - 05:06 PM.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have not tried a different mouse. I'll give it a try.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if changing the mouse doesn't work ..
open another user account and see if you have the same problem on that account

vampie117

vampie117

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think I was having the same problem, try to reset the "theme" of your computer back to the default, and if it's the same problem I had, it should start working again...

Edited by vampie117, 14 October 2009 - 01:40 AM.

heartofdestany

heartofdestany

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This happens to me daily, if your mouse is wireless like mine simply reset your mouse, that should 100% fix your problem, if not then very sorry.

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.