Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly can't highlight or drag and drop

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I was going through some old CD's of backup info before tossing them. After going through several of them I discovered that I can no longer highlight text by left clicking and dragging the cursor across text. Also, I cannot simply left click and drag an icon on the desktop. I can right click and use the move here function but not the usual left click.

I suspect that one of the point and shoot type games I opened caused the problem. Doing a system restore did not fix the problem. I really hate to think that I will have to go to the hassel of doing an XP repair installation but I really need the highlight function.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check your mouse button setting in Control Panel>Mouse. The buttons may have been set to reverse functions, causing the left button to act as the right button, and vice versa. It's the first option in the 'mouse properties>buttons' dialogue.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The buttons had not been changed but I still reinstalled the Logitech mouse software. That did not imporve things either.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello mlwjackson,

Do all other mouse functions work fine?

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Other than drag and drop and highlighting everything appears to work normally. I reinstalled the mouse softwear (it's a logitech wireless optical mouse) and that seemed to help a little bit. I went ahead and did a repair install of XP under the assumption that some of the registry settings were tweaked by the game software. That also helped a little. I am still not back to normal performance but it is marginally tolerable. Any suggestions would still be appreicated.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
mlwjackson,
Does your issue happen in only a specific application?

Edited by tuxmaster, 02 November 2007 - 04:03 PM.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
It is my impression that it happens to about the same degree with all applications. Like I said previously, it has improved, but I still must move at a significantly slower pace to drag and drop and to highlight that what I used to.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried a PS/2 mouse to see if the problem goes away...
or a stand alone usb mouse

Edited by happyrck, 03 November 2007 - 05:06 PM.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have not tried a different mouse. I'll give it a try.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if changing the mouse doesn't work ..
open another user account and see if you have the same problem on that account

vampie117

vampie117

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think I was having the same problem, try to reset the "theme" of your computer back to the default, and if it's the same problem I had, it should start working again...

Edited by vampie117, 14 October 2009 - 01:40 AM.

heartofdestany

heartofdestany

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This happens to me daily, if your mouse is wireless like mine simply reset your mouse, that should 100% fix your problem, if not then very sorry.