Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remote desktop on XP home

• Please log in to reply

vashtii

vashtii

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i hope someone knows the answer to this question:

i have a laptop and a desktop which are connected via either wireless or LAN cable. Laptop is using XP Home edition and Desktop is XP Professional. I have created the laptop as a User on the Desktop via the Users on control panel. Remote desktop is on both computers. There is a section in the area: Right click on MyComputer/Properties/Remote that asks you to Select Users. My taptop was not listed there and when I clicked the button Locations it will not allow me to search the workgroup network I have. It will only search the desktop computer for locations. Not sure if this is what is stopping my remote desktop from working but some of the error messages I get include Connection timed out and computer could not connect in the time allotted. Does anyone here know what i can do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unfortunately you cannot connect to someone via Remote Desktop with XP Home if you have XP Pro.

vashtii

vashtii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Unfortunately you cannot connect to someone via Remote Desktop with XP Home if you have XP Pro.

Thanks for you thoughts Neil but we did manage to Remote Desktop (RD) from this new laptop (Client with XP Home) to another desktop (Host - XP Professional) already so it cannot be that. Also MS say that you can: http://www.microsoft...emoteintro.mspx
"2. The remote computer must be running Windows 95 or later. This computer must also have the Remote Desktop Connection client software installed. The remote computer is known as the client."

I'm going to experiment with taking my programs off the Host Start Up menu. If that doesn't work, I'll load XP Professional on the Host. I was avoiding doing that because of the expense.

Much appreciation,

Tesa

vashtii

vashtii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed XP Professional on the Client machine and removed all my start-up programs from Host machine but I'm still getting the time-out error response.

Any new ideas please?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Tesa

Edited by vashtii, 29 October 2007 - 06:26 AM.