Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen on startup of xp

• Please log in to reply

penmark

penmark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an HP m1170n (Media Center) desktop, running xp sp2 with a 19" LCD monitor. I had previously upgraded my video card to a geo force 7300GS in anticipation of getting a wide-screen 22" LCD monitor, but still have not gotten that monitor. The computer and monitor had been working well, until last weekend, when I turned on the computer, and got the infamous "black screen." At various times in the past week, I got just the black screen or the blue HP screen, before it all froze. One time I was able to turn the caps lock light on and off, but I can't do that now.

To troubleshoot, I first hooked up another monitor, with the same results. I then removed the geo force video card and reinstalled the original video card that came with the computer, also with the same results.

I would appreciate any troubleshooting techniques for this problem. Also, if this is a "deadly" problem, advice on how to recover the data from the hard drive.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You say you removed the new card and put the original card back in, but what you haven't done is uninstall the drivers for the new card, and it's probably those that are contributing to the problem. See if the PC will start in 'safe mode', then go into Add/remove programs and uninstall anything which refers to the GeForce 7300GS.