Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to have my own internet on a shared campus bandwith internet netwo

• Please log in to reply

Miroku2192

Miroku2192

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I live on campus...and they limit our bandwith for the internet. They also turn the internet off at 11:30 (for all freshmans, sophmores and juniors). So unless you're a senior, you won't have internet access after 11:30.
Three years ago, some kid was able to take the school's internet line and divide it up so that he had his own little internet access - that way he did not have to share his bandwith and had fast speeds with no limit on when his internet would go out. I'd like to know how/where i can find out how to do this! Thanks so much!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This sounds like the stuff of urban legends. Either that or the student was using somebody else's wireless network illegally.
Attempting to circumvent your university's provision of the Internet is not generally a good idea because they will tell you that it only takes one person to spoil it for everybody else and this could result in further internet restrictions - abuse it, you lose it. So unless you want to be that person, I'd go with the flow.

Miroku2192

Miroku2192

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
haha good point, you can lock the thread now lol ;P sorry!