Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics is Stuffed

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
there's something wrong with my graphics on computer games.

Current system
XP pro 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.2 GHz 1mb L2 cache)
1024mb DDR2 800 MHz Corsair RAM
250gb Seagate HDD, 300mb/s SATAII, NQC
nVidia Point of View 7600GS PCI-e x16
driver: nvidia forceware 163.75

the problem usually occurs when i play computer games, such as Silent hunter 3 (submarine simulator) but not just that. i get patches and blotches of 2d red/green colouring on my screen, which appear in small groups all over the screen. also, grey and white lines come out of objects, they seem to be vertices of some kind. they're projected out, and block things in view. for example, a ship will have several of these flat/slightly raised grey polygons projecting from it and obscures everything. i'm think it may be a rendering or script tool which isn't meant to be seen.

i've tried tweaking the drivers. if i turn anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering etc, all the quality stuff to low, the inside of the submarine(which consists of people and dials) are viewable. but the outside environment, e.g. when i pop up the periscope, i can't see a thing from all the polygons coming from everywhere. when i turn all the quality to top, like 16x and 8x for anti-aliasing nd anisotropic filtering, and thread optimisation etc, the inside becomes a complete hash of polygon shapes. it's so dense i can't see a thing but grey. but outside is relatively fine, for a while anyway. after a while, polygons start appearing, and red and green bits pop up around the screen. if i put the driver to "let application decide) it goes to the first scenario.

same for brothers in arms as well, and also CS 1.6

i used to run both brothers in arms and CS 1.6 on full graphics, and Half-life 2 on medium, on a Radeon 9550 AGP 8x perfectly. so why not now? ideas? solutions? anything would be useful.

PS, i'll try post pictures to show you what i mean, if i can get any.

Edited by Hammm, 28 October 2007 - 10:40 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it sounds like you have faulty hardware (nvidia 7600).

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
how could i check this?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
here are some screenshots of Silent Hunter 3 with the problems. in picture 2 and 4, there's noticeable patches of green and other colours. in pictures 1 and 3, there are those weird polygons i described projecting from the flak and deck guns respectively.

any help would be really appreciated. if you need more screenshots, just ask.

Attached Thumbnails

• Oject_01.JPG
  • Oject_02.JPG
  • Oject_03.JPG
  • Oject_04.JPG

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello Hammm,

Have your recently updated video drivers? If so try reverting to older driver. If they are not updated revert to a newer driver.

With your computer powered down and unplugged you should also remove video card clean out fan(s), then reinsert video card and check all power connections. Graphics errors of that type can be caused by drivers, overheating of video card, or possibly a power problem(what is model and brand of power supply?). You should also have the game set graphics to default settings. Post back how you make out.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 30 October 2007 - 11:04 PM.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
thanks for that. i've got one of the latest nVidia drivers (163.75) and i had previously 94. something, can't remember. i'll try clean it when i have time. i don't know if it's a power thing. i've got a 560W THermaltake power supply. i did it myself, and there's not much in there to draw power. CPU, Graphics card, RAM, HDD, and DVD drive. my motherboard is a GA-965P-S3. i've tried setting it onto defaults, and it goes to the first scenario i described earlier. thanks for the replies though.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello Hammm,

The power supply seems more than adequate for that setup. Try reverting back to older drivers. Then you may also try as mentioned in previous post to unplug computer, reseat card, and clean up fans.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 30 October 2007 - 11:07 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I just have something very small to add. When you reseat your video card, wipe the pins with a dry cloth.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
thanks for all these replies. just one question, has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I actually had a problem on Nvidia 6800gt on one of my backup systems with one of their summer driver releases that caused alot of screen corruption. The only other time I have seen this is with video cards running hot.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 31 October 2007 - 02:52 AM.

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
hmmm, that's interesting, i can record the temperatures when i play my games, but so far, i've yet to see the GPU rise over 50 degrees centigrade. do you think i could try disconnect the GPU fan then reconnect it? maybe it's faulty wires or something. i'll do it this friday. i don't have much time atm.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hammm,

I would focus on trying out a few different driver versions first. Go back to some older version drivers from several months ago first. No need to disconnect fan. Also what version of directx is installed? You may also try connecting different powersupply to computer to rule out your power supply as being a cuplrit after you try the drivers.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 31 October 2007 - 04:41 AM.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i do believe i have dX 9.0c. does anyone have a link to download dX from?

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello Hammm,

How have you made out with going to different video driver? The type of corruption you are seeing from viewing Nvidia support sounds very much like a driver issue of card and/or games may need updates.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 31 October 2007 - 11:44 PM.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
do you know what's the earliest driver supporting 7600GS chips? because if i go back to say, 64.something, the driver won't be compatible with a 7600GS chip