Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you restore internet connection after trojan removal?

• Please log in to reply

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Running XP Home.

I used SDFix to remove three trojans. These trojans knocked out my internet access.

In the bottom right corner of my screen is the LAN icon, with a red X through it - says "a network cable is unplugged" but no cables are unplugged.

I unplugged and turned everything off and then re-plugged all cables associated with my computer/connection back in.

Nothing seems to work.

LSPFix says there are no problems.

If I do an "ipconfig /all" the response is: "media state: media disconnected" (even though no media is disconnected). The network card is fine too.

Always says in that same ipconfig response:

"Physical address: 00-0C-F1-EB-FB-58"

I don't know what that means. It sure isn't my IP. I have a static IP.

Any help most appreciated.

Thank you.

Jeff

Edited by JeffM, 29 October 2007 - 01:04 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The physical address has nothing to do with your IP address -- it's a binary reference to the memory address used by the network card. Your IP address is shown lower down if you used the command IPCONFIG /ALL

Check that your network adaptor is not disabled: Control Panel->Network Connections -- if disabled it will have a red cross over it. Right-click and choose 'enable'. Failing that, a new network card may be the way to go. It may be dead. Worth a try considering how cheap thay are. Don't be fooled by the error message saying a cable is unplugged. Even a dead card will cause this error message. Windows can't tell the difference.

Edited by pip22, 29 October 2007 - 01:15 PM.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thanks for your reply, pip22.

Sorry I'm so late getting back - been having more troubles.

One thing that got my attention was this:

When I go to the properties for my network adapter, I will click on the Link Speed tab and then the Diagnostics button.

From there, there are three tabs at the top.

1) Connection
2) Link
3) Hardware

All the tests under hardware come back fine - no errors.

But for the Connection test, I receive this error:

Connection test failed. The adapter has no link.

For the Link test, I receive this error:

Could not establish link. The cable may be disconnected or have a bad connection.

Could the problem be my network card?

I'm just stumped since the hardware tests all came back fine, not to mention that the device status is:

This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

Any ideas what may be the culprit? If more info is needed, please let me know.

Thanks very much!

Jeff