Whenever I try and boot my computer I get the error message: "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall it." - or something along those lines. I've followed the steps listed below; however, when I get to #3 and press R to start the Recovery Console nothing happens.
The steps to repair a missing or corrupt boot.ini file are:
1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
4. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.
5. Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file. At this point you may get a message telling you that the boot.ini file does not exist. The next step will correct this error.
I am in the processing of doing is cloning several computers using partimage. I have already set up one computer the way I want it now, used partimage, and copied files onto a new computer. However, the new computer will not boot. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to fix this problem?