Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade board/processor.Keeping hardware

• Please log in to reply

renaldoaoa

renaldoaoa

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm looking at upgrading my my K8T NEO (VIA K8T800) board/AMD 3400+ (2.40 GHz) and just move over my hardware to the new board.
I had this system build by compuzone a few years back, but instead of letting them do this one, I'd like to try it out on my own. I think it would be more cost effective and I'm sure yall have a line on better hardware.

The problem I'm having is choosing a board/chip that will work with what I have, and having something that will last me the next few years until the latest and greatest items come out; not to mention getting a good deal price wise.
I'd like to stick with the AMD, so I'm guessing the next step up would the 64x2?

I play a good bit of games and lately I've found that I can't play some of the higher games and playing things like World of Warcraft I find myself lagging when I get near a big group. In WOW, my processor runs about 80% normally, but when I get down deep it stays at 100%. Of course in this example, video settings and internet connection are fine.
I'm not saying I need a major gaming system, but I would like to have the power when I choose to upgrade the little things.

Would anyone happen to have a suggestion on what board/chip I should be looking at?
Anywhere on the net that would have a good combo price?

My hardware I would consider pretty much normal..

2G Ram (Don't see myself needing anymore)
Case unknown (I'd like to keep this if possible)
GF 7600 GS AGP (Would like to stick with AGP if possible, unless a combo has better PCI card)
Sound blaster live 5.1
DVD/CD burner
Dvd player
2 HD's 1 main, 1 slave
A drive
Win XP (Plan on staying with as long as possible)

I'd like to stay around $300-$400, but if there's something better for a little more, I could swing it.

I've added in some pics just in case I needed them and yes, I know it needs to be cleaned. 8)
http://img70.imagesh...=img0182ae8.jpg
http://img509.images...=img0183xr5.jpg
http://img139.images...=img0184gk7.jpg]

Sorry to have to ask point blank what I should get, but at this point I have no clue.

Thanks for the help!!

Edited by renaldoaoa, 30 October 2007 - 01:26 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The RAM is DDR and will need to be upgraded to DDR2 when you get a new board. This is the same with AGP to PCI-Ex16. AGP isn't far from being all the way out of the picture. It is an out of date technology and if you get an AGP board then you will of course be investing in an out of date board. The cost of the AGP cards is actually higher than the faster PCI-E.

Depending on what your current power supply is you may need a new one.

That is an mATX board and doesn't look like it has much room. You will need a new case unless you stick with mATX which advise against.

You will need to run a repair install of XP if your plan on just hooking your old HDD up.

Basically you are looking at a whole new system here.

Edited by Titan8990, 30 October 2007 - 01:34 PM.

renaldoaoa

renaldoaoa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the reply Titan8990.

The words you hate to hear, "you need a new system".

I was hoping to avoid getting a whole new system, but I figure maybe it's time to.

If it were you, what build would you do? I'm speaking of building your own AND buying a ready made.

I've been looking at the alienware area 51 5700 and the aurora 7500, but would like something that's possibly a bit lower priced.

Again, sorry to ask "what should I get".

I'd like to be able to use at least some of my own equipment if I have build and hopefully keep it under a grand if possible; although I could go a little more if it's worth it.

Thanks for the help!!

renaldoaoa

renaldoaoa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've been thinking about it for the past bit and I decided that maybe buying a ready made gaming pc might be the best way to go.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a ready built gaming pc?
Looking at $1000 to (around) $1500.

I just think it'll be easier on me in the long run.

Thanks for the help!!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
When it comes to gaming I would never recommend a pre-built. For budget office machines pre-builts do just fine but when it comes to gaming they charge a premium. For between $1000-1500 you could build a very nice mid to high range system.

The Area 51 5700 is a notebook. Notebooks are not good for gaming no matter how much Dell tries to tell you that it is. The Aurora is $1200 only has a 8600GTS. There is a Blueray player in which gives the most value to the desktop. I personally would not invest in any blueray because I believe the the HD standard will bump blueray to the side. You won't be happy with your gaming performance with that card. You could do much better with your own build.

I don't have any personal experience with the website but I hear good things about CyberPowerPc.

Edited by Titan8990, 30 October 2007 - 08:42 PM.

renaldoaoa

renaldoaoa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the reply Titan8990!!

Yeah, I've got the feeling of going the route of building. I actually found the cyberpc site a few hours ago and I've been going through the motions on building one. I'm glad to know that what I happened by was a suggestion you've made.

I'm however stuck at a critical junction while building, but I believe it might be best to make another post regarding it.

Thanks for the help and please lookout for my new posting.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

I'm however stuck at a critical junction while building, but I believe it might be best to make another post regarding it

Feel free to continue with your questioning in this thread.