Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Drive

• Please log in to reply

cigos

cigos

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Evening Folks,
My wife has been using a laptop with Windows 2000 Pro which I bought from Ebay some time ago. I have installed nothing on it since we got it but recently I attempted to install Photoshop 3.0. Having put the installation disc in the drawer I went through the Add Program system only to recieve a message saying the D Drive had either been removed or had been moved and could not be found.

Can anyone tell me what steps I should take to either a) Search the system and/or b)Install the missing item, if possible? I have no discs in relation to Windows 2000 back-up.

I hope you can help. Cigos

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cigos...

A missing optical drive can be caused by a number of things...from a bad drive to registry settings. That said, let's look at a couple areas.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. In Device Manager, expand (click +) "DVD/CD-ROM drives"...is your optical drive listed? If it is, right click on it and choose "Properties". In the "Device Status" field, is the device shown as "working properly"? In the "Device Usage" field, is "Use this device (enabled)" selected?

Then let's take a look in the registry. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"...Registry Editor will open. Make no changes to the registry at this time.

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

Given this information, we'll see if we can get the drive back or determine if it has failed.

wannabe1

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello Wannabe1,
Your advice was spot-on. CD/DVD systems are 'Go' I have studied your suggestions and can now use that knowledge in other matters. I am much obliged to you.

Cigos

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me guess...it was filters in the registry?

Glad I could shed some light on that for you... :)