Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking wirelessly (file sharing and internet)

• Please log in to reply

GregLB

GregLB

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I am a serious newbie when it comes to networking.........

heres my set up,
-I have verizon FIOS in my house
-The connection is set up to a router.
- Computer A is hardwired to this router
- Computer B and C are connected Wirelessly with DLink cards
Now for the questions.
1. Recently I have been getting droped internet conections on Computers B and C. I called support and they said my phone which is a 2.4ghz is interfering with it....... this is wierd to me because I have had the same set up for the last year and have never had a problem. Could there be another reason? Should I really spend the money to upgrade the phone system to a 5.8 GHz system?

How could I share files between the computers?
2. How would I transfer files from Computer B and C (Wireless Dlink cards). Right now I use them only for recieving the Wireless network from the router. I don't want to use a program and share over the internet. I want to use a wireless network.
3. How could I communicate with computer A from B and C?

Thanks you very much for your help!
Much Appreciated,
Greg

Advertisements

GregLB

GregLB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
if no one wants to answer, could some one point me in the right direction?

gc43

gc43

• Pip
  • 4 posts
u can give a program called "remobo" a shot. You dont need it if you are just on the same LAN or wifi network, but it comes in handy if you move around, say if you bring your laptop outside the house, you could still connect back to the PCs at home.
hth

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Greglb
It is not that people do not want to answer you. It is a matter of waiting for someone who might have the answers to come by and read your post.
What operating systems do you have on all 3 computers. If they are xp then please say if they are all home or pro
or do you have a mix of xp \98 or xp \2000 etc.
Cheers
Peterm