Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Boot. Tried everything...

• Please log in to reply

2legit

2legit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just bought a new motherboard and processor to upgrade my computer, but I can't get it to boot at all. No beeps, just a light on the motherboard that says VGA error. The only video card I have works fine in my current computer and fits the specifications for the new board. I've read elsewhere that VGA error could also mean a simple memory error.

I took the motherboard back to where I bought it, thinking it might be DOA, but they tested it and everything worked fine. The only thing I can think of (and I'm no expert) is that the RAM in my current setup is DDR2 533, but the new board only lists DDR2 667/800 in the specifications. I was under the impression that slower RAM would work, just not as well.

So, my question is... Will my slower RAM prevent my new setup from even booting?

Specifics:
Biostar TP35D2-A7 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz Processor
7800GT PCI-E Video Card
Corsair DDR2 533Mhz RAM 2x512MB

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You have it wrong 2legit. The accepted knowledge is that 'faster' RAM will work on a machine that's built to use slower RAM, but only at the slower speed the machine's memory bus was designed for.

But if you put slower RAM into a machine designed to use faster RAM it will very often not work at all.

So the golden rule is to use RAM which meets or exceeds the computer specification, not RAM which falls below it.