Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect laptop to new wireless network

• Please log in to reply

dorsettaffy

dorsettaffy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have successfully set up a new wireless network for my desk-top using a Speedtouch 585 v6 router and a USB wireless adapter. This works well on the desk-top, and I can also see that one of my neighbours has a (protected) wireless network. I wish to use my Acer Aspire 3000 laptop on the network but it can not find any wireless network connections. I have enabled the inbuilt Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter in the Device Manager which says it is working correctly. I have also looked for an up-dated Driver using Windows, but none was available. However the wireless icon shows a red cross and the statement "Wireless Connection 4. Not connected" (The desktop is using Connection 2). Having read some of the posts on this forum I checked the Windows IP configuration and obtained the IP address, Subnet mask and Default gateway codes for the desk-top, but on the laptop it says:
"Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media state..................Media disconnected
Ethernet adapter Wireles Network Connection 4:
Media state..................Media disconnected"
Can you help me get my laptop connected please?? :

Edited by dorsettaffy, 01 November 2007 - 10:39 AM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
It doesn't matter what the name of the connection you're using (the desktop and laptop does not have to use the same connection), what matter is that it is using the right one. In your case, the laptop should be using the wireless connection.

Try looking at your laptop, some laptop has a switch on the side of the laptop (or a function-key) to turn it on or off.

If that didn't work, try going to the "Network Connections" page (Control Panel -> Network Connections) and ensure that the wireless connection is enabled there.
Also try repairing it by right-clicking the wireless connection and click Repair.
After that click start --> run --> type cmd --> type "ipconfig /all" (without the "")
and see if you get an IP address for the laptop.

Let me know what you get.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 01 November 2007 - 01:40 PM.

dorsettaffy

dorsettaffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Kamille

Tried to 'repair' via Network Connections but message was "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed
Connecting to the wireless network"

Tried ipconfig/all and under Windows IP Configuration and it read:

Host Name..................... : LAPTOP
Primary Dns Suffix.......... :
Mode Type .....................: Mixed
IP Routing enabled......... : No
WINS Proxy Enabled....... : No

Ethernet adapter Local area Connection :
Media State..................... : Media disconnected
Description ..................... : SiS 900 based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical address ............. : 00-C0-9F-F0-F2-25

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:
Media State..................... : Media disconnected
Description ..................... : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address ............. : 00-14-A4-5C-9B-67

Dorsettaffy

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Can you go to the "Network Connections" page (Control Panel -> Network Connections) and disable the Local Area Connection for now (this is only used if you're going to connect your laptop using a wire to the router).

Try locating a switch to turn the wireless connection on/off. It is usually on the side of the laptop. I have searched online and there should also be a Wi-Fi button on your keyboard. Try locating that and see what happens when you press it (I believe it is usually the Fn+Wi-Fi button). You can check if it works by looking at the side or around your laptop for a lit LED light. This would mean that the Wi-Fi or wireless connection is now enabled.

Next you should click start --> run --> type cmd
--> type "ipconfig /release" (without the "")
--> type "ipconfig /renew" (without the "")
--> type "ipconfig /all" (without the "")

Try that.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 02 November 2007 - 11:04 AM.

dorsettaffy

dorsettaffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Kamille - I wish I could buy you a pint or two.

Very many thanks - my laptop now connects to the wireless network!

You truly are a star!

:)

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I was worried I wouldn't be able to help you :)
but I'm glad you got it working now :)
So does that mean you found the switch?

Kamille

dorsettaffy

dorsettaffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes I found the switch! It is so discreet that I could not find it initially and thought it was just a decorative feature on the front of the laptop. :)

Thanks again :)

Headgear782

Headgear782

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem here. Ive read over what you said and it seems like it will fix mine, the only thing is i cannot get my wifi to enable. so i tried to type ipconfig /release and it says "no operation can be performed on wireless network conenction 2 while it has its media disconnected"

im not sure how to get this back on, when i click my wifi button it just tells me that WLAN is disabled.

any ideas?

avee

avee

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Wow! this topic worked for me. I got the same problem, my laptop won't connect to any wifi connection, 'til i read this post. I just press Fn and F5 at the same time, then click on. Yahoooooo! Thanks alot..

richardvegro

richardvegro

• Pip
  • 4 posts

i would say try http://goo.gl/4K1rEb