Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realplayer

• Please log in to reply

wordswort

wordswort

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Anyone else having trouble logging into Realplayer?

During the past fortnight, I am finding that the pages open right up to the final one. Then I get a message saying '1 item remaining', followed by 'Realplayer has caused a problem.......and will now close'.

Which would be bad enough ; but it doesn't always close. It freezes, and I have to cont/alt/delete to break out.

The 'helpline' advice they give you all begins 'open Realplayer and.....'

Wish I could.

Incidentally, it also causes probl;ems with my BBC player. I have no idea how.

Anyone? Please?

bob

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Can you uninstall and reinstall? Go to add/remove programs.

wordswort

wordswort

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I could de-instal. But what then? I would lose lots of good stuff, pre-recorded over the years.

I should rather find out what the problem is. But Real don't reply.

The solution, though, seems to be popular. Whenever programmes such as this, and malware programmes, too, don't work, their sites always advise you to de-, then re-instal.

It's the hi-tech equivalent of the advice the first computer techies used to give you at the office when you had a problem : switch on, then off, and see what happens.

bob

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

It's the hi-tech equivalent of the advice the first computer techies used to give you at the office when you had a problem : switch on, then off, and see what happens.

The reason I gave this advice is that I didn't know you had used it that heavily. I will let gerryf or one of the other guys ride this out. They are more knowledgeable than I am. Sometimes, we give the easy suggestions first and if they don't work, we move on. It's akin to taking an engine apart in a car when all it needs is gas. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
And that first computer tech advice is not without merit--just as uninstalling replayer and re-installing it is not bad advice

If you have downloaded realplayer files, the files themselves are not uninstalled. Depending on how the program is set up, even your settings may not be uninstalled, but simply core files.

You can also consider installing it over the previous installation, which will also not harm your existing files or settings

That said, you wrote:

"I am finding that the pages open right up to the final one. Then I get a message saying '1 item remaining', followed by 'Realplayer has caused a problem.......and will now close"

This does not even sound like realplayer--opening pages? Granted, I have not used it in quite some time.

Still, If you get an error from windows
start > run
eventvwr.msc
enter

Look under applications for an error that occured during your problem...look for a RED X

wordswort

wordswort

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When I typed in 'eventvwr.msc' I got 'windows cannot find'. So I'm still stumped. But many thanks to everyone who has replied. I appreciate the help.

bob

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, let's do it the hardway

Right click MY COMPUTER< choose MANAGE, wait a second....now eventvwr will be on the left...expand it and search those two sections

wordswort

wordswort

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
.......er, don't quite know how to tell you this, but I don't have a MANAGE. Not anywhere, I even did a c/search and couldn't find one.

bob

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
RIGHT CLICK the MY COMPUTER icon...either on your desktop or in your START Menu

wordswort

wordswort

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
[urls]
offlineurl=Login\manage.html

This (above) is what I got when I clicked 'manage', which I found, as you said, by right-clicking My Computer (never right-clicked that before.)

No event thing, though. There were a couple of other files on that menu also called Manager and I opened them all, but fond nothing.

I shall quite understand if you give up here ; and thank you anyway.

bob

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is windows xp, right?

I've never seen that before....either

try this
start > run, type
compmgmt.msc
enter...

what now?

wordswort

wordswort

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No. Windows 2000 (or is it ME?).

So, I got the same message : Windows cannot find........

bob

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you've got to have windows me....

What version of realplayer do you have? Do you know?