Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Device not recognized

• Please log in to reply

lpollsnoop

lpollsnoop

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Windows XP Home SP2
Dell Dimension 8300

When I try downloading photos from a Canon Powershot A75 I get a message USB Device not Recognized.
I bought a San Disk Card Reader and tried putting the CF card into it to download - but got same message.
The system does recognize the memory card from my MP3 player.

I tried installing Canons driver but the installation failed.

I have reinstalled my Intel Chipset - thinking it would reinstall USB drivers - no help.

I have my original XP CD with the I386 files and am thinking I should re-install the USB drivers to Windows/System32/Drivers
but don't know if I should only install USB drivers or all the drivers in the I386 file.
I don't know if I install all of the drivers if some of them may require updates.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much

Michael in Brooklyn NY

Edited by lpollsnoop, 01 November 2007 - 01:34 PM.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
It doesn't sound like a USB driver issue, at least not from your computers side.
It does sound like an issue with your camera. You mentioned that the Canon drivers didn't install, that seems to be the problem right there.
Try reinstalling them. Maybe disconnect from internet, disable firewalls and try again.
Just my thoughts.

lpollsnoop

lpollsnoop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Psych

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that since the system didn't recognize the Card Reader it was a driver problem but

I'll try plugging the camera into a different PC to see if it is recognized there

mafia_boy

mafia_boy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Try using a different USB cable if you have a spare handy, worked for me before with a USB device that win did not recognize? worth a try!