Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply

Brightspark3146

Brightspark3146

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I switched the auto updates off soon after my PC went up the creek,around about mid April,The other "hotfix" that gave me probs was KB893066 but that one seems to be ok now,Firefox is starting to look a good option,

Advertisements

monk-i

monk-i

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Guys ive got 15 homeworkers with Dell machines across the UK with this problem and im seriously scratching my head.

I tried going through the above with 1 of them obviously none of the updates had a batch file so ran BATCH spuninst.txt for them all and it copied all the files to what I assume is their previous setup. Unfortunately it does not seem to have worked.

I could greatly do with some advice as my job is becoming a nightmare and I don't know where to turn now.

Any one give any guidance as what to try?

Thanks guys. As ever Dell are hopeless. I think its the updates because for all of them to get it all of a sudden points to that.

Thanks!

dxjnorto

dxjnorto

• Pip
  • 4 posts
About all you can do is go over to one of their homes, apply the fixes here until you find what combination works, then the same will probably work with the others' machines.

When you tell them over the phone, there's no telling what they are actually doing, but when you do it yourself, you have problem management in your own hands.

Good luck,
Jerry

monk-i

monk-i

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes im taking delivery of one of the machines this morning so I should be able to have a mess about with it to see what happens.

I will keep you all posted.

dxjnorto

dxjnorto

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It is also tied to a particular combination of machine/XP. When I had the problem, I reinstalled on two machines with a completely different XP and haven't had service pack issues with those machines, even though the offending updates are installed.

I don't know why, so it's not much worth mentioning, only that a different version of XP solved the problem. I also had some directx 9c malfunction that was ONLY solved by the reinstall. Sims 2 would not play. Not that I cared, but it was my cousin's computer. I could fix the update problem, but the only fix for directx was a fresh install. There was probably some sort of flaw/incompatibility in the original version of XP.

You get what you pay for °¿°

Keslaa

Keslaa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I wonder if it is more along the lines of the Auto Update Service itself. If the problem were the updates, then they wouldn't work no matter how you install them.

Our problem is similar. I am building a new image for our laptops and per business requisite, we have Auto Updates turned on and scheduled to run over night (3 AM). During application testing, our testers left the PCs on overnight as they usually do following "MS Hotfix Tuesday". The next morning, all four were at the BSOD. We started going down the path of uninstalling the hotfixes, etc. but could never get them back without dropping the OS back on them. Once we did that, everything was back to where they were before.

I went and updated the image to include these patches. Now MS has declared a particular one to be "mandatory" and those machine with AU turned on got this patch (and any others they were missing), rebooted the system and promptly sent them to a BSOD.

To make a short story long...has anyone seen any testing on the AU service itself? That seems to be the only common thread through all of the forums I've seen - different hardware, different apps running on the PCs, different patches, etc. - but all of these machine were running the AU service.