Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio and video stutter a lot!

• Please log in to reply

chinmay420

chinmay420

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,
My audio and video stutter randomly when played. My laptop's become considerably slower and 2 or 3 running programs take up most of the memory ( upto 90% in most cases). I've run all scans necessary for spyware detection, including HijackThis, with help from the Malware forum. I've removed some unnecessary items from startup, but there's little improvement. There is no more malware, but the audio and video still stutter! Please help.

Thanks,
Chin.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi chinmay420...

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. In Device Manager, expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose "Properties"...click on the "Advanced Settings" tab.

You should see two devices listed, Device 0 and Device 1. What is shown in the "Transfer Mode" field and the "Current Transfer Mode" field for each device?

Repeat this for the Secondary IDE channel and let us know what these settings are set to on each IDE channel.

wannabe1

chinmay420

chinmay420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
For Device 0
Transfer mode- DMA if available
Current Transfer mode: PIO Mode

Device 1:
Transfer mode- PIO only
Current transfer mode- PIO mode

Couldn't find any secondary IDE channel; hope I looked in the right place!

Edited by chinmay420, 03 November 2007 - 07:34 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That would be the problem. The transfer mode is set to PIO and should be set to DMA.

Go back into Device Manager, right click on Primary IDE channel, choose "Uninstall", and accept the change...then reboot. You may receive a warning or two when you do this, but uninstall the channel anyway...it will be reinstalled automatically when Windows starts and should install using the DMA transfer mode.

The Secondary IDE channel should have been shown just under the Primary....if you see it's there, uninstall that, too,

You machine should boot and run faster and the sound should work better after doing this...let me know how it goes.

chinmay420

chinmay420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey, it works! My comp's fine...as good as new! Thanks a lot for your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to lend a hand! :)