Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop question

• Please log in to reply

chancy4342

chancy4342

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
can you put a better video card on a laptop or is there only integrated ones?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I'm afraid not. The video card on a laptop is actually just a proprietary chip which is not upgradeable. In the rare event that the chip fails, it can be replaced but only by qualified service technicians.

Very little can be upgraded or changed on a laptop apart from hard disk and RAM. It's for that reason you need to consider if it's the right thing to do before buying one (as opposed to buying a workstation PC), and if you do buy one to make sure it has all the processing power and connections that you are ever likely to need in the foreseeable future.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
What pip said is true 99% of the time but there are a few ( very few) that have upgradeable video but you'd have to check with the manufacturer to be sure.... usually only Very recent and VERY high end machines where like this... Toshiba was the only brand I've seen with this and no I don't remember the model.