Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer occasionally reboots from a different drive

• Please log in to reply

TADontAsk

TADontAsk

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have had a minor problem over the past couple of years, and just wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts how I could solve it. Every few months, when I start my computer I get a blue screen that tells me I have an error and that I need to run a chkdsk or that some new software might have a virus (I haven't gotten this in a while so I don't remember the exact message). What seems to be the problem, is that for whatever reason, every once in a while my computer seems to boot up using another drive. So I have to press F8 when starting up, and select the correct drive. And then I have to re-start and go into options, and select the correct drive as the first option. After that it works perfectly fine, except after another few months it does the same thing. I always shut down my computer the correct way, so I don't know what causes this, nor how to permanently fix it. I don't know if this is an issue, but there is also a message when starting up that reads "BIOS not installed". Not sure if its related. This isn't a big deal, as its more an annoyance than a real problem, but I'd certainly like to fix it if I can. Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I'm guessing you need to replace the BIOS-backup battery with a new one (it's fitted under a clip on the motherboard and is usually a 1.5v button battery. This battery maintains a small charge to the BIOS (Basic Input-Output System) when the PC is off. The BIOS, among other things, keeps a record of what type of hard drive is fitted and what size it is. When this button battery gets low, the BIOS can 'forget' the drive information so the PC can't boot up.