Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ubuntu help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
hey everyone..

i just installed ubuntu on my acer 5100 laptop in a dual boot with win xp mce

well a problem im already having is the wireless.. i cannot get it to connect.. i even turned off all wireless encryption..im such a linux noobie but i really want it because linux looks awesome and has full potential

all help is appreciated :)

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If Kubuntu is an indication you'll need to install and set up the Ndiswrapper. The Wrapper is not installed in Kubuntu. A quick look through the forums says the same. My acer 5000 has a broadcom card and you win mce should had the driver and .ini to set it up.
As nice as this Monkey is you would think they would have included the Ndiswapper preconfigured the way SemplyMepis 7 has since the pre-beta.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I dont have Kubuntu.. i have Ubunutu... is it still possible.. if so how would i do this.. sorrry complete linux noobie

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I dont have Kubuntu.. i have Ubunutu... is it still possible.. if so how would i do this.. sorrry complete linux noobie

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Check Synaptic Package Manager to see if Ndiswrapper is installed. If not you will have to install it. If they haven't developed an install script here are the instructions.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
for a unfortunate of events, i needed to reinstall ubuntu but it corrupted my windows partition so i had to boot and nuke my laptop and lost everything. I am just better off with out linux on a laptop.. I should just keep it installed on a desktop because i lost everything... ill close my thread.. thx for the help anyway