Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address hijacked?

• Please log in to reply

firefly101

firefly101

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can anyone explain to me how this can possibly have happened?

I have recently been working in a few different countries, US, Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia to name but a few.

In the meantime a friend of mine back in the States has been receiving some anonymous emails from a person who claimed to be in Germany. They're not spam - they're genuine emails, but they've been anonymous. They've either come from a Yahoo or Hotmail account. My friend has recently taken steps to get to the bottom of this and was surprised to see that on displaying the IP addresses of the anonymous mails, and searching out their location, they were actually sent from the exact same countries I've been in at the same time I've been there. Not only that but they contain very similar and in some cases IDENTICAL ip addresses to emails I sent her at similar times.

I now have an idea who this anonymous person is (someone who is known to both me and my friend). This person knows all three of the email addresses I use (a Yahoo, a Hotmail, and my work address), and all of these IP addresses have come up (even my work one) in the mails that have been sent to my friend.

Is it at all possible that this person could somehow continually hack into my email addresses and adopt my ip addresses as their own to avoid being caught out? How could they do that? I am now working in the UK and it is still happening. ie My friend just the other day received an email from both of us on the same day, with the same ip address. This other person still claims to be in Germany.

Any enlightenment would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You could very likely have been infected with malware. This is exactly the thing that happens where e-mail is sent by spoofing your e-mail address or in some way changing the path it takes in the header. Your entire Address Book could have been read and used.

I would go to the Malware Removal section of this forum and follow their instructions and repost a Hijack This Log in that forum to see if you have been infected.

Since you have Win XP, I would also install Micro$oft's free Anti-spyware app and run it.

Ron