Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down when installing/running spyware & antivirus so

• Please log in to reply

bgassassin

bgassassin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hope that I am posting this on the right board. I am working on a lady's computer. It is an e-Monster 600. When I first got it, it would just shut down after a few minutes. It currently runs XP Pro SP1. After many battles, I finally was able to get AVG Virus, Adaware and Spybot S&D (only once) to work. When trying to run Spybot, it loads and then the computer shuts down. This also happens in safe mode. In fact, many of the things I mention here cause a shut down in safe mode as well.

I attempted to upgrade it to SP2, but the computer shuts down when it starts to run. I then found this board and started following the steps in the "You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log" thread. I was able to run AVG Anti-Virus. Near the end of running SUPERAntiSpyware, it shut down. When attempting to run Panda Activescan, it shut down right before it would start. When attempting to run SP1a ... you guessed, shut down. I tried everything I know and could search before posting, so I am hoping someone can get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks.

Edited by bgassassin, 03 November 2007 - 11:15 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Presumably the lady has a recovery CD for the PC, or a backup partition with which to re-install Windows. That's the way to go.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This computer sounds, for want of a better term, totally screwed. Clone the drive and wipe the machine, its gone beyond the point of repair.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First, before doing anything else, I would check cpu temperature. It might be too high, forcing shutdown.

bgassassin

bgassassin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the responses. I ruled out heat issues because I would attempt to run the programs right after windows loaded with the same results.

I too thought about a reinstall and would have done so much sooner if it were my computer. I'll check with her to see if she still has the recovery cd or if she bought the computer from someone else.

Thanks again.

TonyMart

TonyMart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was having a similar problem on my HP running XP SP2. I had Norton running and I decided to download AVG because it is free. The next day, after booting the computer would shut down and automatically restart (it would cycle on and off continuously due the windows automatic restart feature). In safe mode I uninstalled AVG and the problem went away.

TonyMart

TonyMart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I gave AVG another chance (I wanted the benefit of a free anti-virus) and so I un-installed Norton. Then I re-installed AVG and the problem appears to have gone away. Awesome!