Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reduce Size of HP Scanner Softyware

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Have XP and an HP Scanjet 4890 ... but the HP Software (COL10861):

1. Must be installed on my C: drive - resulting in 'gobs' of space taken up (have other hd's which have plenty of space but can't use them)

2. many cab files (each many Mb's) - can they be deleted?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
cab files should not be deleted. They are Windows backup files in compressed form to take up less space.

If you have another drive, I don't understand why you can't install the HP software there? Some printer system files will unavoidably be written to the C: drive, but the installer should allow you to select another drive for everything else that's on the HP software CD. Also, apart from the scanner driver installation, anything else on the CD is optional. Your scanner only needs the driver installed for it to work. You don't need to install everything.

Edited by pip22, 04 November 2007 - 03:03 AM.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

cab files should not be deleted.

OK

but the installer should allow you to select another drive for everything else that's on the HP software CD.

I agree - however - the installer states specifically that the software MUST be (and will be - no choice) put on the C: disk - archaic

I guess it comes down to a choice between more (read some) free space on C: and using 'scanner n camera' from Win XP.

Thanks