Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install an OS on my new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

itsgareth

itsgareth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi please someone help me.

I've just purchased and installed a new Seagate ST3320620A 320GB hard drive as my old drive finally packed up. The ATA settings are compatible with my old drive and it is IDE as my old one was. The problem I am now having is that I cannot install any kind of operating system (XP or VISTA).

The drive is being recognised in the BIOS and I have the jumper setting set to master as this will be the only drive and will also run the operating system.

I can get as far as copying files when I boot from the CD in the Windows installation but just as I am about to complete the setup I get the dreaded blue screen of death with varying messages each time. However there is a common trend as all of the messages mention it could be a hardware problem. The most recent message reads as:

A probem has been detetced and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen apears again, follow thse steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable compponents, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

**** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00008E66, 0x0000002, 0x0000001, 0x84859f60)

I have since removed the windows boot disc and turned the PC off and then back on again. I now get the message:

BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

So is my hard drive faulty or have I not installed my drive properly?

Please someone help me as time is money :cry:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What make and model is your motherboard? This error can be caused by a SATA controller driver issue. If you're not using SATA, turn it off in the BIOS and see if it makes any difference.