Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acrobat Professional Help!

• Please log in to reply

The Doll

The Doll

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to create an Acrobat file from Word. I've done this a million times, but not with a file this large. It seems to go through part of the process and then just sort of 'hangs'. The document is about 300 pages and when it gets to the point where I get the dialogue box that says "Starting the application which created the selected document. Please Wait..." it just seems to stay there forever. Does anyone have any ideas or have any of you experienced this ? Thank you so much in advanced for your help!

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
How long is forever? 300 pages could take a while.

The Doll

The Doll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for responding! Well, forever in this case seems to be about an hour. However, I've done this now three times and have another issue. It seems to get passed that last dialogue box, and then I get a message in Word that says that it the document was not printed. So, it seems like it just stops. I am now trying this via Word and I'm going through the print dialogue box. It's taking forever, but we'll see if this works.

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Does the application you use to convert PS(postscript, for the printer) to PDF(Acrobat) accept a file for input?
If it does, tell Word to print to file and try it that way. Maybe it helps.

Success :tazz:
Ojo

The Doll

The Doll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Does the application you use to convert PS(postscript, for the printer) to PDF(Acrobat) accept a file for input?
If it does, tell Word to print to file and try it that way. Maybe it helps.

Success :tazz:
Ojo

View Post

My lack of knowlegde is going to show, but here I go anyway ;) . I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the application that I'm using to conver the PS. I guess I thought that application would be Acrobat, but I must be missing something here.
A little more info that might help:
I am able to convert smaller Word files no problem. The last time I tried to convert this big Word file I ended up with a file in Notepad as well.
Also, I've tried doing the converting while in Acrobat as well as from Word. My last try was using the print dialogue box in Word. Any ideas?
Ojoshiro, thank you so much for your time and help!

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
What do you do step-by-step to get a PDF file?

From the point you have a Word document to the point where it goes wrong.

( I'm sorry, this may take a while this way, but it's not entirely clear to me how you get a PDF docment from word. I assumed you did it via the "printer". But just to be sure ;) )

And hey :tazz: Don't thank me yet, it doesn't work yet.

Ojo

The Doll

The Doll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

And hey :tazz: Don't thank me yet, it doesn't work yet.

Ojo

View Post

Ha ha! I'm still going to thank you because even if it never ever ever works I appreciate the time you're taking to help me. I'm not at a computer near my document right now, and it may have finally worked. I won't know until tomorrow. So, I'll wait until then before I write out the directions of what I'm doing...but yes, you're right. the main method that I've been using has been via the printer.
Ciao!