Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd internet issues.

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Really can't sum this problem up in the title, anyways...
I had my friend come over the other day with a laptop that had internet issues, I cannot figure out the issue for the life of me and I'm curious if someone could think of something I havn't tried.

The problem: Internet connects, but is limited in fuctionality. Limewire will function (has since been uninstalled), MSN will function properly, AVG will update and thats about it. I cannot view any web pages nothing zip.

What I have tried.
-Refreshing the IP address
-Malware scans
-Ran Hijackthis to see if it was a LSP issue
-Pinging various sites (it works)
-Rebooting
-Reseting the router
-Trying it on 3 different routers
-Reseting the internal wireless card
-Trying a wired connection (wired and wireless connections produce the same results)
-Ran ATF clearner
-Tried Firefox/IE/Opera all have the same problem
-Using windows diagnostic tools, they all seem to think everything is fine, obviously something isn't
This is all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure I have tried others

I'm very weak in my knowledge with networking, the only abnormality that I could find is that IPv6 has limited connectivity, I have searched it on google, but I really don't know what it is exactly and cannot find a fix for my friends problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have also asked if he knew what was the last thing he did before the incident occured, he cannot recall anything.
If nobody of the fourms can think of anything or I cannot think of anything new, I'm going to do a repair install on the laptop and see what it produces.
James

Edited by james_8970, 04 November 2007 - 09:55 PM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
IPv6 is an Internet Protocol that no country has adopted yet (I believe Japan does) and expands the address by up to 128 bits (basically the IP address would look something like this 3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf). IPv4 or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (format) is what we currently use and I believe that if someone has IPv6, they could only "talk" to someone with the same Internet Protocol (IPv6 is not backward compatible with IPv4). IPv6 was created because we're almost depleting the IP address in IPv4 format and soon Internet Providers will not have any IP address to sell/give.
Are you saying that the laptop is connecting using the IPv6 protocol? I don't really know how to check if a computer is connecting using IPv4 or IPv6, unless I look at the IP address that is assigned to it.
Maybe try flushing the DNS? or try to assign IP address manually?
Sorry, I'm not much of help.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 05 November 2007 - 12:55 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:) I running out of idea's so I was just comparing this laptop to my own which said connected beside IPv6.
Going to try flushing the DNS right now, forgot to do that, thanx for reminding me!
James