Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer and Windows Media errors

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Ztrucker,

I replied to this over a week ago -- I don't know why it didn't post.

I DID save the registry. I do NOT know the name of the Reg Cleaner I used. Something where yellow & black was its colors -- that's all I recall. It's something I got on here and it, apparently, seemed to think that everything that was more than 2 years old in the registry was in some regard Defunct. (A program I think called RegEdit KNEW the difference, but I couldn't seem to find what CD I'd saved that program onto ]nor could I find it online any longer] -- but when RegEdit would say "This Key has not path" or whatever IT WAS CORRECT...this other program was just WAY off).

Phlegmbot

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Got your PM, don't know how I missed your update on 2/29.

How did you save the registry? Did you use regedit (the Registry Editor built into XP)? If so, you can use regedit to restore it as well.

Just start regedit then click on File them Import, navigate to where you saved the registry and double click on it.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I just found something that might be able to help this issue out. Try going to the following site and trying the solution found there.

http://support.micro...704/en-us<br />

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Thx to you both! I'm going to try these solutions.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Okay, guys, it's been a couple of days...no visible problems with Windows Media Player or the files...but I've chickened-out on restoring my old registry. I'm afraid it'll mess things up on programs I've installed since.

My two bizarre remaining issues:
I may need to somehow reinstall the Fn key functions. They stopped working. I just now found the executable but am writing this just after double-clicking it and do not know if the Fn keys'll work upon reboot. (I cannot find the driver to reinstall.)

And, weirdly, Notepad disappeared from my Right-Click menu when viewing my Desktop. How weird is THAT?!

Both of the above began when I began this thread -- but they were minor issues in comparison. Let me know if I should start a new thread for these.

And thanks to both of you for your continued assistance!!

-Phlegmbot

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You said

I may need to somehow reinstall the Fn key functions. They stopped working. I just now found the executable

Did it work?

What is the make/model of your computer? Are you using a spiffy keyboard that requires a driver and if so, is that what you reinstalled?

Notepad disappeared from my Right-Click menu when viewing my Desktop

Very interesting. I've never had Notepad on the right click (Context) menu of the Desktop. I do have New -> Text Document which I can then double click on and that opens Notepad. I did add a Shortcut to Notepad in the Quick Launch area of the TaskBar.

Edited by Ztruker, 22 March 2008 - 08:44 AM.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hey, Ztrucker!

No, the Fn key functions did NOT work once I restarted. in MSCONFIG FnKey is checked...but there must be something else there that makes it actually startup when Windows starts. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A105 laptop btw.

As for Notepad: the way YOU described it is what it was. It no longer has "New Text Document" in the context menu. Any ideas how to get that back in there?

Thanks for your help and patience!!

Phlegmbot

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
For the missing New text Document, see #153, left side here: http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Instruction on how to use the .reg file shown are at the top of the page.

Post back if questions.

Re: FNKeys .. there are about 50 different A105 models, which one do you have. You need to go to the Toshiba web site and download the latest keyboard driver and install it. That should fix the problem.

Edited by Ztruker, 31 March 2008 - 02:35 PM.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Thx, Z.

I have the A105-S2001. I hate to ask but...are you able to find a driver for it? I certainly couldn't.

I went to that site -- the Tweaks page is apparently down. But I'll check again in a day or two.

ALSO, a problem that went away has RETURNED! The following error is like one I was getting when i FIRST posted this topic. However, I'm aware this time when it's happening: if i open a folder with AVI files in it, as Windows tries to generate the thumbnail image of the file, the following message pops up. I hit OK 3x, and the image appears, and this will repeat for all new AVI files from the last few days (it doesn't do it for older AVIs).
I wonder if it's due to the solution Tux gave me which, in theory SHOULD have worked. Here's the error I received, I hope it means something to you guys....

CPU: GenuineIntel, Intel P6 (Model 13), MMX @ 2000 MHz

Application data:
VmVyc2lvbjogV2xGQlhVSlFWRlphUkU1RFJrTlZKQ2xTT3lRN1ZpQXN
BQWRWUHlFOEl6QnpaSHQrZHpNa0lqc2tJelpGY25SOWVHcC9SemM3Uj
etc.

Edited by Phlegmbot, 07 April 2008 - 12:47 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You should edit your post and remove that useless error data, it's unreadable hex data.

As for downloads for your computer, see here: http://www.csd.toshi...u...p;x=50&y=11

The one you want is "Toshiba Hotkey Utility for Windows XP (v1.00.01SE; 12-06-2005; 2.34M)", 5th from the top.

Might also want to try "Toshiba Software Upgrades for Windows XP (v3.9; 04-22-2005; 2.03M)". Once installed, it will check for updated drivers for you, at least that's what its says.

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Ztrucker!

Thank you!

I've looked on that page...I can't believe I missed the Hotkey Utility!! Heck, I even called Toshiba and asked them (their advice for everything is to use the Restore Disc)

The other one I didn't understand I needed...THANK YOU!

I'll let you know the results in a day or two.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Took me three views to see it also, almost seems like it was hidden or something. Hope it fixes you up. Good luck.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
The Hotkey utility gives me an "Error 5" for setup.exe -- will call Toshiba about this.

The other file worked marvelously (after a small glitch that had me panicking, but it was fine)...

I deleted a lot of files off of my computer and that above problem, where I had printed the hex data, went away. I still had 2 gigs left on my computer, but could it be some kind of minidump issue that occurs has disc space is "low"?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
To see what is using space on your hard drive, install a program called SequoiaView. Gives you a great visual picture of what is using up drive space. Get it here: http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/. Before running SequoiaView, you should make all files and extensions visible. Do this by:

Control Panel / Folder Options / View Tab.
Select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
Uncheck Hide protected opeating system files [Recommended]

Also, in SequoiaView, click on View then Color and check Enable color scheme. Makes the displayed data much easier to read.