Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted exe files in external HD

• Please log in to reply

cosmiqeddie

cosmiqeddie

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi GTG, as stated in my title, my external harddrive, which currently assigned as drive "I" has gone weird. All the exe files were corrupted, and the file size of the exe file has drop from like 10mb to 50kb.....unbelievable? the original icon of the exe file has gone, showing only windows some kind of "unidentified" type icon. almost 99% of all my exe files got corrupted, and i am preety sure that it is not virus or malware behind this since my primary and secondary harddrive in my pc show no weird sign. Among those files which are corrupted in the HD is winrar...alcohol120.....NOD32 antivirus...and aloooooot, all having only 50kb-2mb file size, which are impossible.

Everytime i try to execute the "corrupted exe", a windows popout saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." there must be something wrong since i was still installing my antivirus and all sorts of utilities through the exe in my HD, no problems at all. And, im using the admin account which i shouldn't be having any permission problems.

My OS : XP Pro Version2002 SP2

[attachment=16436:hjt.txt]
And 1 last thing, this happened after the drive changed from "G" to "I", since my pc detects new external storage every restart n assign it to the drive automatically. (but i dun think this is the problem, is it?). oh ya, all the files which are not corrupted, i mean exe, are all chinese words exe. weird enough

Edited by sari, 06 November 2007 - 09:23 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try running the disk-check utility on the external drive and see if any errors are reported.
Right click the drive's icon in My Computer and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Tools' tab.
Click the 'Check Now' button.
Tick both boxes then click 'Start'.

cosmiqeddie

cosmiqeddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
After scanning, all the corrupted files gone... :) (problem solved)