Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOE2 game hosting PLZ HELP

• Please log in to reply

markusc

markusc

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi everybody.

ok my problem: I recently baught age of empire 2, (i know it sounds lame but its a cool game), and my firends and me want to play a multiplayer game, HOWEVER, the online gaming site 'msn gaming Zone' shut down and turned into game spy. We tried game spy but it was jsut terrible and we couldnt get into a game.

SO

we decided to try joining through IP. It seemed simple.. Host a game, and the host gives ip to everyone, they type it in and join. however when they typed typed my ip adress in ( i am hosting) they cant find my game. So i figure its a firewall or router problem. As my windows firewall was alawys disabled i figured it was the router.
My router is a DLink DSL_G604T
I thought the problem might be something to do with virtal servers so i tried to create one of those thigns (i didnt udnerstand it and jsut entered in what portforawrd.com said.. i was very confsued)
SO i figured this wasnt the problem and must be soemthing to do with Filters. So i tried to create a port thing through the firewall so that people can access my comptuer through that port thing .. (i got confused kinda aswell following portforward.com). (btw it worked when i did it for warcraft 3) However i fidled around and my freidns still coudlnt join.

After looking through forums i decided to try dmz as it prety much was last resort. But to do that it gave me the options Enable/Disable and also a server Ip adress.

Now comes a poitn where i dont udnerstand. Firstly: do i type my ip adress in? like 10.1.1.1 and activiate the dmz

and does whoever want to join also have to activate their dmz?

and when they want to join my game do they join through tcp/ip and simply type in 10.1.1.1?

Please help me with hosting games using dmz

Thank you :) (i had to explain everything so people dont jsu tsay try doing this isntead because i ahve tried and now u know the situation im in)
THANKS AGAIN.

markus :)

Advertisements

unizo

unizo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
What you need to do is go into your Router through your browser, I don't know what the IP is for you to connect, you'll have to find that one out.

Once you're in there you need to find an option called "Port Forwarding", in there you simply open up the ports that the game runs on and your friends should see the server. :)

markusc

markusc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i dont have a section called port forwarding
:)
my router is dsl-G604T if that helps