Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Prob (maybe).....

• Please log in to reply

Strange1

Strange1

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Recently when I boot the comp up in the am the monitor does not come on at all. the little green led lite just blinks. Comp seems to boot up alright as my modem shows online. Until today, I could re-power and monitor would come on and performing perfectly. Today it took several power-ups and connection checking to get it to come on. Working fine now as usual. Would this indicate the monitor or the video card? The computer is a Dell 4600 (XP home)with a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 card and the monitor is a Hanns-G HN199D LCD type . Thanks for any suggestions or feedback.

Jack

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Remove the video card and see if you have the same issues. Just use your motherboard's intergrated graphics.

It is doubtful that this is an issue with your monitor but if you would like you can hook your monitor up to known working computer to rule that out as an option.

Let us know if there are issues w/o the video card.

Strange1

Strange1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the quick feedback. It appears that the current connector in the card is the only connector that I can affix the monitor cable to. Maybe that isn't a removablecard but an integrated sound card altho it appears to be removable. It is in a PCI looking slot. The video info I gave would indicate that it is a card, wouldn't it? I have Everest downloaded on my comp and took the info from that. Thanks again.

Jack

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is a seperate card. It is in either PCI or AGP format. Either way it would be in the same location.

You should have a VGA port intergrated. I looked up the Dell 4600 and it has a 865G chipset which has graphics.

While you are at it take out all but one stick of RAM. Test each stick one at a time (if you have more than one).

Edited by Titan8990, 06 November 2007 - 11:54 AM.

Strange1

Strange1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Will do, thank you again.

Jack

Strange1

Strange1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
checked on ports. No integrated VGA port. Have parellel and serial port. However removed video card and re-seated. Booted twice and monitor came on both times. Acid test will be in the morning. Thank you again

Jack

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sounds good so far. Lets give your RAM a test as well. Follow these steps:

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible